Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome Film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 4th March 2011, 09:26 PM
Friend

Default Tri-X bowing/curling

Coming back to developing b&w after a gap of twenty years or so, I am somewhat disconcerted to find that the Tri-X negatives are bowing when hung up to dry. Judging by feedback on the Leica Camera forum, I am not alone in finding this. Even after 24 hours under a stack of heavyweight tomes (Ansel Adams Biography, H C-B The Modern century etc etc), the strips still tend to bow. The HP5+ and Kentmere 100 strips dry perfectly flat so what is going on with Kodak?
Flickr Site
Old 4th March 2011, 11:02 PM
Friend

Have you tried weighting them with a clothes peg?
Old 5th March 2011, 05:21 AM
Friend

Yes it does! I use bulldog clips with sash lead weights glued on and that tends to resolve the bowing but not 100%.
Old 5th March 2011, 07:42 AM
Friend

Please correct me someone if I'm wrong but I'm think that having excessive weight at the bottom of drying film (sash weights?) would certainly help with longitudinal curling but on wet material drying could cause side to ide curl, bowing due to stress in the material.

I can't remember where or how I learnt of this but upon reading the OP it sprung immediately to mind.
Old 5th March 2011, 08:05 AM
Friend

You will find threads about "my film curls" in all forums and for every sort of film ever made except glass plates. Especially in winter. The only rule I found so far is that if you dry films in warm, dry air they curl. In winter, most houses are heated, so that the air is very dry.

I think there are other factors but it is highly improbable that Kodak or other big manufacturers changed their products.

BTW, if you want a film that always curls, try a Lucky.
Old 5th March 2011, 08:41 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmolinari View Post
Or ORWO 100 120. As though no gelatin coating on the back.
Old 5th March 2011, 08:56 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmolinari View Post
You will find threads about "my film curls" in all forums and for every sort of film ever made except glass plates. Especially in winter. The only rule I found so far is that if you dry films in warm, dry air they curl. In winter, most houses are heated, so that the air is very dry.

I think there are other factors but it is highly improbable that Kodak or other big manufacturers changed their products.

I raised the question because, given the same drying conditions i.e. hanging in the shower with Paterson film-clips, having been through the same fix and rinse routing, HP5+ and Kentmere 100 dry flat whereas Tri-X bows. Perhaps my use of 'curl' in my original post was misleading as the problem might be better described as 'arching'. Even after being cut into strips and placed in sleeves then a pile of weighty books put on top for 24 hours, the strips still have a slight arch/bow to them.
Flickr Site
Old 5th March 2011, 11:40 AM
Friend

Hi Keith,

I've just checked some of the Trix negs shot in 2010 and stored in polypropylen sleeves ever since and they are indeed arching, but only slightly so.
Interestingly, the Fomapan 200 negs lay completely flat in comparison.
Old 5th March 2011, 08:04 PM
Friend

Here's a fly in your ointment, Keith. Just a few days ago I processed a roll of Tri-X and 3 rolls of HP5 and hung them up to dry together. Now in their negative sleeves, the Tri-X is perfectly flat, but the HP5 neg strips have some longitudinal (not side to side) curl. Much seems to depend on the drying conditions on the day...
Ian
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies