Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome Film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 29th March 2012, 03:43 PM
Friend

Default Rollei Infrared Film

Today I exposed a 120 Rollei infrared film for the first time. I rated at EI400 for the first unfiltered exposure and then at EI25 for the remainder with a Hoya R72 filter fitted as recommended by the Rollei. Lighting was bright sunshine, about as bright as it ever gets here.

After developing the film I find that the first unfiltered exposure is great, but the remainder are very underexposed; at a guess I would say by at least 3, possible 4 stops underexposed, I was hoping that the EI of 25 was factual but it seem like 3 or 4 may be more realistic.

For the record I developed the film in Pyro HD 1:1:100 for 12 ½ minutes at 20°C with 10 seconds of agitation per minute; and yes, I did remember to use both part A and B.

Has anyone else any experience film and if so what rating and film speed have you used?
Old 29th March 2012, 04:00 PM
Friend

hello dave, i tried some rollei IR in 4x5 and i found it to be around iso 1.5 in rodinal.
Old 29th March 2012, 04:07 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by monst View Post
hello dave, i tried some rollei IR in 4x5 and i found it to be around iso 1.5 in rodinal.
Thanks, I have some 5x4 and assume that it will be coated with the same goo as the 120 version.
Old 29th March 2012, 04:19 PM
Friend

Dave,

I've shot a lot in 120 and also used a little in 4x5.

I use EI 6 normally and also do a +1 shot just in case, my developer is usually Rodinal 1:50 for around 10 mins and the filter cuts of at 720nm.

Steve
Old 29th March 2012, 04:30 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
Dave,

I've shot a lot in 120 and also used a little in 4x5.

I use EI 6 normally and also do a +1 shot just in case, my developer is usually Rodinal 1:50 for around 10 mins and the filter cuts of at 720nm.

Steve
Thanks Steve, my Hoya filter is 720nm. I will expose another film tomorrow at a range of EI's to see what looks best.
Old 29th March 2012, 08:19 PM
Friend

Quote:
i tried some rollei IR in 4x5 and i found it to be around iso 1.5 in rodinal.
same here but developed on Silverprints Pyro

nn
Old 29th March 2012, 10:43 PM
Friend

There is an article on various IR films in digitaltruthphoto website and Rollei IR with hoya R72 seems to be about EI 4-5. Worth a look for all you IR users.

It would seem that with the loss of Kodak IR and to a much lesser extent Konica 750 IR the EI for true infrared effect is down in low single figures, Efke being particularly low

The exception to this low EI rule is Ilford SFX where the Hoya R72 gives just about handholdable speeds at the recommended EI and still produces a very real IR effect, based on the examples shown.

I am not promoting SFX but for those looking not to use a tripod, SFX may be the only one left that is usable.

Mike
Old 1st April 2012, 01:48 PM
Friend

I have now exposed a test film, all frames being of the same subject.

The film was developed in Pyrocat HD 1:1:100 @ 20°C for 12½ minutes.

The first frame was exposed at EI400 without filtration = 1/250 @ f8; I then fitted a Hoya R72 filter for the remainder. I exposed the second frame at the recommended EI25 = 1/15 @ f8 and so on down to EI1.5 = 1 second @ f8.

The frames rated at EI 6 and 3 came closest to the unfiltered test frame with regard to shadow detail.

I shall print those two and the test frame and compare the results.

I have included new foliage in the shot and can see that the IR effect is present.
Old 1st April 2012, 01:53 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
There is an article on various IR films in digitaltruthphoto website and Rollei IR with hoya R72 seems to be about EI 4-5. Worth a look for all you IR users.

It would seem that with the loss of Kodak IR and to a much lesser extent Konica 750 IR the EI for true infrared effect is down in low single figures, Efke being particularly low

The exception to this low EI rule is Ilford SFX where the Hoya R72 gives just about handholdable speeds at the recommended EI and still produces a very real IR effect, based on the examples shown.

I am not promoting SFX but for those looking not to use a tripod, SFX may be the only one left that is usable.

Mike
Thanks Mike, I had seen the ratings recommended by other but wanted to see if Rollei's recommendation was practical, it clearly isn't, at least not in the developer I'm using.
I had selected the Rollei film for several reasons but primarily because it is available in both 120 and 5x4 and I'm hoping that it is more scratch resistant than the Efke IR that I have used before.
By the way the SFX is not, in my view fast enough for hand-holding and as soon as you are into tripod teritory then film speed is not too important.
Old 1st April 2012, 07:03 PM
Friend

Dave like a lot of things I state I am relying on what I have read of others' experience. I have used SFX but only with a 25 red filter where the beginnings of the IR effect are apparent and that was hand-holdable.

However with the SFX or Hoya 72 filter and SFX it seems that some users report speeds of 1/30th at f5.6 with a 28mm lens on a 35mm camera. F5.6 on a 28mm lens, it appears, might give just enough depth of field and certainly f8 at 1/15th if you had a steady stance or a wall to lean against might be enough speed and also ensure depth of field.

Mike
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies