Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - Pinhole

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 3rd December 2019, 12:33 PM
Friend

I have been using/testing the Pinhole Assist app on my phone. So far the results are ok outdoor but dreadful indoors, apart, weirdly enough with the Direct Positive.

Anyone else tried it and what are their thoughts or suggestion? (in the name of research I like to test free apps to see how their fare, so any tips, please send on).
Old 3rd December 2019, 01:26 PM
Friend

I meter as normal, scale the exposure up for the nominal pinhole f-stop and where appropriate apply the normal reciprocity factor for the film I’m using. It doesn’t always come out perfect, especially if the sun goes in/comes out half way through, but it’s usually there or thereabouts.

With no viewfinder and exposures always longer than I normally use there is always a degree of serendipity involved but for me that’s the joy of pinhole.

My one real failure was a nighttime attempt using Fomapan 100. Three hour exposure and barely anything on the negative at all. Once my existing batch of 120 Fomapan 100 is finished I will look at a different emulsion for pinhole long exposures!
Old 3rd December 2019, 01:55 PM
Friend

I do pretty much the same as Dave does: meter normally; take the exposure time for f16 and add 6 stops (which works for my pinhole dia. and focal length). Easy and quick to do in my head...no fiddling with my phone. Once reciprocity comes into it then of course I need to refer to a chart, but no big deal.

Sorry, can't give you any feedback about the app.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies