Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment Manuals > Manuals Discussion Forum

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 5th December 2016, 05:47 PM
Friend

Default Not quite a Manual

Appologies in advance. I could not find a more suitable forum to post this, if the moderators wish to move it elsewhere, please feel free.

I don't know about elsewhere in the world but isn't it about time that someone, somewhere, thought a little bit about (re)creating a magazine, either monthly or weekly which is dedicated purely to analogue protography, including b&w and colour developing, black and white and colour printing, slides and the processes connected with them, including all other information, techniques and advice connected with the darkroom.

I used to take B&W Photography on subscription some while ago but cancelled it when they almost 100% went over to digital. I then went to Amateur Photogtrapher but eventually they went down the same path and even some of the staff started to give advice and 'hints' which were completely incorrect, possibly due to being brought up on digital only. Even the adverts are about 1-2 weeks out of date and more up to date information can be obtained via the web for nothing.

Yes, we may now be regarded as a niche group, but so are many of the other journals on sale in bookshops and newspaper shops. Letting a good few people out there know we.........Analogue photographers are alive and still kicking can only do film photography a power of good.

We don't need an A4 sized journal with a thick glossy cover and pages almost as thick, padded out at each end with repetative adverts, week after week. We need just a readable, accurate, and attractive publication which is for film photography only. It would be nice for it to contain articles which help photographers from the very new beginner to the very advanced worker.
Who or where would be the best contact or method to try to get one in print again. I may be tilting at windmills but the idea of a 'proper' magazine for film photography sounds nice.

Last edited by John King; 5th December 2016 at 06:01 PM.
Old 5th December 2016, 06:19 PM
Friend

Default Not quite a Manual

View Camera was a good publication that dealt with film, albeit in large format cameras. Sadly, I believe that it has recently gone out of print. A member of my family did manage to create a new paper magazine, as opposed to online, a few years ago, but it was a hard slog. It wasn't about photography, but should have had a good following. Not enough, however, to keep it going. It's quite a substantial undertaking to bring together all the different elements that lead to a magazine being on the shelves at the correct time each month. Repetitive advertising is one of the essential elements that make it possible.
I picked up an excellent German magazine in Munich in 2015 called PhotoKlassik. It was entirely film based. Perhaps some of our friends in Germany will know of it, and whether it's still around. Text was German, of course. It would be great if an English language version became available as it is pretty much what you describe as being required.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by alexmuir; 5th December 2016 at 06:22 PM.
Old 5th December 2016, 06:27 PM
Friend

John you need to work out the costings, and then there's the thorny issue of those who shoot film but only scan their negatives/transparencies and don't make darkroom prints.

Then you have to find good writers, there were a few writing for B&W magazine who are still around but dropped by the magazine which doesn't want much analog content. There's also contributors to the now defunct US View Camera Magazine.

There was a Magazine that was spawned by some on APUG about a decade ago, it disappeared mostly because of health issues (editor/family) and a spat when full frontal male nudes were posted on the Forum. There can be a lack of tolerance of others opinions on forums and the US/International Large Format forum had a similar issue with one Moderator recently over images (quite innocuous of transgendered people).

Any printed magazine needs to be cross forum and also international to succeed, and a a broad minded editorial policy.

I'd happily contribute to something if I felt it was appropriate. I've contributed to a few books, article for the online Lomography Magazine and have articles in progress.

Ian
Old 5th December 2016, 07:51 PM
Friend

Alex - Photoklassik is still going. It's quarterly and has a website and a Facebook page. Thank you for referring to it, as I am going to subscribe (via "Abonnements", a French loanword, on their website). I hope our regrettable future relationship with Germany won't make it hard to get.

photoklassik.de
Old 5th December 2016, 08:08 PM
Friend

The website isn't exactly helpful on subscribing; so I have e-mailed them and will report their response.
Old 5th December 2016, 08:19 PM
Friend

Thanks Michael. It's a really interesting magazine, although I don't have any German. I can get the gist of most of it, though, but perhaps not enough to subscribe. I always buy foreign language magazines when I'm abroad. Only about things I'm interested in, of course. Some, like French publications, are easier for me to follow. I am sure some members of the family think I'm nuts, but you can always learn something from a different perspective. Technical publications are the best. I wouldn't venture into humour or satire without a full grasp of the language!
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 5th December 2016, 09:06 PM
Friend

Yes, PhotoKlassik is still going strong, I'm a subscriber since day one. Great print quality and nice mix of articles, from news to camera reviews, history, technique, galleries. Some of the stuff is a bit "out there" and some of it isn't news to anyone but newbies, but I do enjoy reading it very much. It is in German only, though.
Old 6th December 2016, 03:03 AM
Friend

John, I think this would be a great idea as someone who is new to film photography and darkroom usage I feel alot could potentially be learned from a magazine like this. I have bought the black and white magazine several times recently only to be disappointed by lack of analogue photography and only a page with used cameras listed for sale in. In the interim I will be trying to get the PhotoKlassik magazine in the UK if there is some way of ordering it as I studied an NVQ 2 in German a few years back and did work experience in a lovely town called Regensburg so know a little german. If you ever get the magazine out of the ground I would definitely be a subscriber.
Regards,
Luke
Old 6th December 2016, 03:58 PM
Friend

I have thought about doing this before as a digital download. I have .html files prepared for it, I just never got round to posing a call for stuff to go in it on this forum, yet alone compiling it all. I'm interested!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
Old 6th December 2016, 04:30 PM
Friend

I do not have the time or the nous to get a magazine off the ground as you suggest, but I was hoping someone could come up with an I de we could approach one of the magazines already in production to see if they could have a section ONLY for B&W or indeed RA4 colour printing. The is a resurgence of interest in film photography (judging by the number of people who have started to process and print their own) I wonder if the German magazine could be persuaded to make an English translation available for sale in this country?
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies