Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Site Forums > Introductions

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 29th March 2010, 08:16 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev M View Post
the only thing missing is running water for print washing.
Hello.

I have just moved house and am putting my darkroom back together. My last darkroom was up in the loft and running water and drainage was quite useful. The new room is the spare bedroom which has a bathroom just across the landing so I am not planning on installing water and drainage to the darkroom.
Print washing and film development will be done in the bathroom anyway and I don't mind mixing up the chemistry in the bathroom and carrying it into the darkroom.

Quote:
but seeing as none of my prints are worth hanging I don't worry about it too much.
I make a lot of prints like that too!

Steve.
Old 2nd April 2010, 03:12 PM
Friend

Hi Kev, and welcome to FADU. You'll feel right at home here with us film photographers.
Old 4th April 2010, 06:50 PM
Friend

Welcome Kev, from another north easterner

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 5th April 2010, 01:51 PM
Friend

Hi Kev - welcome to FADU
"To the attentive eye, each moment of the year has its own beauty, and in the same field, it beholds, every hour, a picture which was never seen before, and which will never be seen again" Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers
Old 9th April 2010, 08:33 AM
Friend

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
Welcome aboard Kev.

Instead of running water you can do several soaks. Soak the print in a few inches of water for 10 mins, then replace the water and repeat - soak and dump five or six times and the paper will be fully washed, especially if you use some hypo-clear before the washing.

I used to do this: out of the fixer; quick rinse + soak 10 mins; soak 10 mins; quick rinse + hypo-clear 10 mins; rinse + soak 10 mins; soak 10 mins; soak 10 mins,; soak 10 mins; squeegee the print once and dry on screens. Some people have said it only needs 3 or 4 soaks but I never tested for that few. A HT2 test and the lack of staining when toning showed my scheme worked very well. This was with "normal" processing developer but unless an expert on Lith says otherwise, it should work fine with Lith too.

Have fun, Bob.
Thanks Bob, what's an HT2 test though (noob alert)? I thought soaking prints (even though I do it for an unspecified time dependant on the mood I'm in, was a bad thing, (especially with RC papers) as the different layers can start to separate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
Hello.

Steve.
Hi Steve how are you? I was pointing someone towards your home made 6x12 camera blog the other day. How is it coming along?
Old 9th April 2010, 10:06 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.

Thanks Bob, what's an HT2 test though (noob alert)? I thought soaking prints (even though I do it for an unspecified time dependant on the mood I'm in, was a bad thing, (especially with RC papers) as the different layers can start to separate.
The HT-2 test uses silver nitrate to check for residual fixer in the paper which would indicate insufficient washing (as would staining when toning). You just plonk a drop of the solution on the washed paper, wait, and see if it stains; a very pale stain indicates washing was OK and a dark stain indicates the presence of fixer in the paper.

The sequence I gave above is for fibre papers. Most fibre papers are happy with hours of soaking. Kentmere used to suggest no more than an hour or two wet-time for some of their papers but I've had Ilford papers soaking for 12 hours or more when I forgot about them - came out fine...

RC will indeed de-laminate at the edges with long soaking but do not need washing for more than a minute or so in running water. I guess several quick changes in still water would do as well but I've never had cause to try that. You do not need a hypo-clear stage in the case of RC paper as the hypo-clear is to help remove the fixer from the paper's fibres which is obviously not an issue with RC paper.

Last edited by Bob; 9th April 2010 at 10:09 AM.
Old 9th April 2010, 10:31 AM
Friend

Thanks for the tips Bob, I'd like to move on to FB papers one days so that knowledge will come in handy.
Old 9th April 2010, 10:41 AM
Friend

Hello Kev

Have you done anything with Infa Red yet?
Old 9th April 2010, 11:22 AM
Friend

Not had the chance Nick. Was out of the coutry last week so never got around to ordering the damned filter. Stuck in the office writing reports this week and hopefully doing some portraits this weekend.

Don't know about anywhere else but round this way there's virtually no foliage on any of the trees yet. I reckon a few more weeks wait are in order before trying the IR stuff out.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies