Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome Film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 22nd May 2016, 09:11 PM
Friend

Default Prescysol Article by Les McLean

Seeing the comments on another live thread which has progressed to talking about staining developers started my thoughts about an article that Les wrote about the staining developer Prescysol not long after it first came out a few years ago. It may have appeared in the magazine "Black and White".

Les' conclusions, if I recall correctly, was that he started as a little sceptical about whether this particular staining developer had anything to offer that made it different from the others but that in the end it may have had certain advantages

Anyway the point of my thread is to ask if anyone can point to a link to the article.

Thanks

Mike
Old 22nd May 2016, 11:01 PM
Friend

Prescysol is or maybe was actually Pyrocat HD. The original instructions were a direct copy of Sandy King's Pyrocat instructions with a name change.

When Hogan was asked if Prescysol was in fact Pyrocat HD he didn't deny it.

Ian
Old 23rd May 2016, 04:48 PM
Friend

I "googled" it and got to a reference by someone on APUG on two articles by Les. The post lists the first article as being in 12/2004 and one in 2/2005 in which Les compares Prescysol with various other developers in each article. According to the APUGer each article was published in Black and White magazine.

If the APUGer is correct then the articles are in the Black and White magazine archives but trying to check those archives got me nowhere.

Anyone here got those particular issues?

Mike
Old 24th May 2016, 10:21 PM
Friend

Hi, yes I have both articles, if all else fails can send photocopies.
Old 24th May 2016, 10:59 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcolmM View Post
Hi, yes I have both articles, if all else fails can send photocopies.
Thanks Malcolm. I thought about these famous two articles by Les for quite a while and the more I thought about it the more I had a strong feeling that I had seen these articles in the flesh so to speak and it was via FADU. My brainwave drove me to a file which I had forgotten about, labelled "Photography" that I have in a cabinet

Eureka the articles were there, sent me many years ago by Tony Marlow of this site. Thanks Tony

The only problem with photocopies is that the illustrations that Les used in the B&W article were much inferior as photocopies compared to how they would have looked in the magazine. That's just the way things are and I imagine that other photocopies are the same so I'll stick with what I have but many thanks for the offer.

It is one of our strengths as a forum that if anyone can help then that help is given freely as per your offer.

The articles may be of little or no interest now to others but if anyone is interested then I am happy to try and summarise what I think Les was saying.

Mike
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies