Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 19th February 2021, 07:43 PM
Friend

My mistake, Kevin your figures are correct. I has no idea what an Analyser Pro cost so checked on a website and could have sworn that I saw the figure of 329 but as there is no trace of that now I must not have looked closely enough to see that the 2 was 8

Things do seem to be getting expensive. Must be nostalgia for the old days. Next time someone quotes a figure for something I'll be the one saying that I could remember the days when you could get a "ROUND THE WORLD CRUISE" for that!

Mike
Old 19th February 2021, 09:51 PM
Administrator

10 seconds to 11 seconds is approx 1/7th of a stop (10s + 1/7th-stop = 11.04s). 1/6th of a stop would be 11.2s so 11s is 0.2s out, which is some silly fraction of a stop. [OK, I had to calculate it - it's 1/39th of a stop at 11s].

I believe that repeatability is more important than absolute precision (up to a point!) so as long as 10s + 1/6th of a stop always sets 11 seconds (which I am sure it does) the fact that it is 1/7th of a stop over 10s rather than 1/6th I feel, is less important.

Last edited by Bob; 19th February 2021 at 09:56 PM.
Old 19th February 2021, 10:43 PM
Friend

My concern is, how are printers going to set f-stop times or apply the f-stop printing method, for any exposures above 10 seconds, using this timer?

I'm not convinced that rounding every f-stop time up or down to the nearest whole is the way to go.

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 20th February 2021, 10:51 AM
Friend

Marty.
Not sure if I have missed something on the video or the Owners Manual shown on the RH Designs website.

I get the impression that the seconds scale goes up to 10 seconds in half second steps. Then 1 second steps after that.

The f stop scale is in 1/6 (sixth) of an f stop steps for the whole f stop range.

Cheers.
Old 20th February 2021, 01:16 PM
Friend

This is what you need your timer to be able to do.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf f-stopTimingAdv.pdf (21.0 KB, 283 views)

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 20th February 2021, 01:32 PM
Friend

I can't quite remember what the guy said in the video about f-stop printing, but the manual states (my bolding of important bit of text):

Setting Seconds or F-Stop’s
The Timer 3 is supplied set to 'seconds' as the timer function. To change from
‘seconds’ to 'F-Stop’ timer operation turn the Control Dial until the display goes
below 1 second and you should see “tS” displayed, this denotes seconds.
Pressing the Control Dial once will change this to “tF” for F-Stop mode. Now
when you adjust the set time it will change in 1/6th stop increments (see below).
To set it back to seconds just repeat the process and change “tF" to “tS” and the
unit will operate in whole seconds again.

Logarithmic setting of the interval
Like human vision, photographic materials respond to light in a logarithmic way,
and this is the way that the Timer 3 is set, although the intervals are displayed in
seconds and tenths (the shutter speed and aperture settings of a camera, for
instance, are scaled logarithmically).
When turning the control dial (in tF mode) each increment represents a change in
exposure of precisely one-sixth of an f/stop (about 10%) which is about the
subtlest adjustment that most people can observe. For example six clockwise
increments of the Control Dial represent a one-stop increase or a doubling of the
exposure time.

Terry S
Old 20th February 2021, 07:08 PM
Administrator

I think this is a fairly new timer designed by SDS? The StopclockPro certainly displays to 1/10 second.
Old 23rd February 2021, 10:26 AM
Friend

Default Test strips with Timer 3

The logarithmic mode and audible signal make test strips a breeze. First, decide the increment between each patch - half a stop in this example. When you're close to the final exposure you can work in thirds of a stop (two clicks). Or a sixth (one click), although the gradations are almost too fine to see.

I prefer to give different exposures to the same section of the image, so let's assume that there will be five strips of paper or, if you're lucky, a single sheet in one of Paterson's test strip masks with flaps (no longer manufactured). Next, take a guess at the approximate exposure time required - say, 20 sec. Two half-stop decrements need six clicks anticlockwise, 10 seconds. Expose. Now three clicks clockwise, 14 sec. Expose. Now three more clicks clockwise, 20 sec. Expose. Now three more clicks clockwise, 28 sec. Expose. Three more clicks clockwise, 40 sec.

Without any guessing or calculation you have five strips exposed at half-stop intervals and the time you first estimated is in the middle of the group.
Old 23rd February 2021, 11:17 AM
Friend

A couple of the comments printed below the Grain video on YouTube complain that there are 'not enough buttons' on the Timer 3. All the functions, Focus, Off, Start, Pause, Cancel, are easy to learn and controlled by the one knob, which is duplicated by the footswitch (essential). If each function had its own button duplicated by a footswitch it would be akin to the pedals beneath a church organ - just as difficult to learn and operate.
Old 23rd February 2021, 11:45 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyNL View Post
My concern is, how are printers going to set f-stop times or apply the f-stop printing method, for any exposures above 10 seconds, using this timer? I'm not convinced that rounding every f-stop time up or down to the nearest whole is the way to go.
Exposure times < 10 sec are displayed as decimal fractions, for example 1.0, 1.1, 1.2, 1.4.... Above 10 sec they are 11, 12, 14, 15, 17, 20, 22.... The actual rounding error is never more than 1.2%, which is negligible in photographic terms.

Another advantage of logarithmic setting is that the whole timing range, from 1.0 to 99 sec, takes just over 2 revolutions of the knob.

I'm 76 and I have to admit that it took me a while to get the hang of log scaling. I understand from SDS that several schools are using Timer 3 in their darkrooms and that they learn to use log time setting from the start.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies