Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome Film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 15th April 2021, 10:19 AM
Friend

Yes, I like the fomapan 200 and 400, and I have always got lovely results with the, but since I tested and found that my French photo shop keeper was right 20 odd years ago I do find the negatives easy to print, much easier than box speed, try it John, and if you find box speed suits your printing better than 125, then each photographer to there own, if it wasn't that we are induvial with our own way of working then photography would be boring, some like 400 at 120, some like it at box, some expose at 200, but we all get results we like, and Foma films make photography more affordable for us old pensioners
Richard
Old 15th April 2021, 03:40 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by John King View Post
I use ID11 for all my film developing and if the speed is less than the stated box speed, I can live with that. So if I loose a bit of speed that is no great problem. Most of my pictures will be taken using a tripod anyway.

Like Richard I appreciate the fact that I don't get blocked highlights either, but as the film is considerably cheaper than the likes of T max or even FP4.

I would be struggling to see the difference in quality between Fomo200 and FP4, I don't inspect my negatives with a microscope, I get on with the hobby. I may see a difference between that and T Max 100 which is very sharp.
I've found the quality of Fomapan 200 is excellent, Tmax & Delta 100 have a slight edge in terms of finer grain but that's something I can live with.

It's the final results that matter and also consistency. I've images in my current exhibition sets shot on Fomapan 200 & 100, Delta 100 & 400, EFKE Pl25, Fortepan 200, and also HP5 and people are hard pushed to see a difference. I only use HP5 in 5x4 and Fortepan 200 in 10x8.

Price wise it's a bit of a no brainer I can buy a box of 50 sheets of10x8 Fortepan 200 for less than half the price of a 25 sheet box of 10x8 FP4 or Delta 100, so just under a quarter of the price.

Once you've tweaked EI and dev times to suit your way of working I think you'll like the film

Ian
Old 19th June 2021, 07:42 AM
Friend

The 2nd roll of Fomopan 200 was used yesterday - it has been a long time coming.

I went walking up a narrow ghyl to a waterfall called Hareshaw Linn near Bellingham in North Northumberland. I had forgotten to alter the film speed so it was all exposed at 200iso. To compensate I 'upped' the development temperature to 22C and developed for the normal time in ID11 and the negatives now hanging up to dry. They certainly have more 'punch' and detail than the 1st roll.

Even the centre weighted exposure was handled very well on my Minolta XM. Some were hand held but a lot were on a tripod with exposures of around 1 second. I am starting to find quite an affinity towards Fomapan films, certainly the incentive of being a lot cheaper has something to do with it but it seems to be quite forgiving.

As a footnote, it must have been 20 years since I walked to the falls and although it is only 1.5 miles each way, there are some very steep climbs up and down. According to the map contour lines there is around a 500 foot climb over sometimes a poor track I certainly felt the difference with my knees when I got back to the car.

Last edited by John King; 19th June 2021 at 07:59 AM.
Old 15th June 2022, 11:24 PM
Friend

Default Foma 200 in 120

I have just processed a roll of 120 Foma 200 exposed at 160 iso and developed it in ID11 using the 1-3 dilution. The recommended time for the hand development is 12-13 mins, however I opted to use my JOBO rotary processor so the dev time was reduced by 15% as recommended by JOBO. The negs certainly had more punch and density than at 200iso, possibly a little more than I like, so the next roll will be at 125iso, or leave it at 160 and reduce the development by 20% instead of 15%.

I also have some Foma 100 in 120 size, does that behave like the 200 where the ISO and dev time has to be modified or just use it at the box speed?
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies