Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Chemistry > Manufactured brews

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 4th December 2021, 08:45 PM
Friend

Default 510 Pyro Make or Buy ?

Silverprint sent out an advertising email recently.
510 Pyro 100ml complete with a syringe, Postage and packing and V.A.T. all for about £33.10p UK.

I make my own, and purchase my chemicals in relatively small, expensive amounts.
Cost? Less than £5.00p for the same 100ml.

I make up 200ml at a time. As the stuff uses so little and lasts for ever I have only made two batches. Very easy to make.

If anyone does decide to make it look for John Finch, Pictorial Planet, Youtube. He details the upgraded formulae.

Make your own and save your cash for other things.

Cheers.
Old 31st January 2022, 05:16 PM
Friend

Default Adventures with 510-PYRO !

Well -- I 'Took The Plunge' into 'Staining Developers' after watching JOHN FINCH on YouTube -- a MUST for all members of this Site !
I found some 'PYROGALLOL' in the depths of my Chemical Cupboard in an 'Ancient - Looking' bottle BUT it saves me paying £ 43 odd for 50gms ! I ordered the 'TEA' triethanolamine 99% and Ascorbic Acid powder off Amazon . I had the PHENIDONE already .. I heated up 75mls TEA in a Laboratory 100mls beaker saved from the Dump when I was a Photographer at University College LONDON -- Gentle MICROWAVE ( DON'T TELL THE WIFE !! ) and first added the Phenidone 0.4 gm as per John says , then the 5 gms Ascorbic Acid and stirred well , then the 10 gms Pyrogallol -- BUT I got a white 'Sludge' which would not dissolve even on re-heating the TEA concentrate ( DON'T TELL THE WIFE !! ) as I asked John Finch for advice -- I should have put in Ascorbic Acid FIRST , then PYROGALLOL, then the PHENIDONE -- SO I have to stir well with a metal rod in the 100mld glass Bottle and NOT get any on my FINGERS -- I decant out 5 mls of the TEA Concentrate into a very small Laboratory measuring cylinder which takes 10mls then add hot water to 10mls and wash it out several times with warm water into a container of Cold Filtered Water then make up to 500 mls which makes a 1+100 dilution. The 'Sludge Particles' DISSOLVE after the dilution with water. I take 300mls into an Old Paterson Major II tank for 120 film and the 200mls fits into another Major II to cover a 35mm test film . I had to mix 'ALKALINE FIX' with Sodium Thiosulphate + Sodium Sulphite + Sodium Metaborate as told by John Finch -- I WA with WATER after developing - NO ACID STOP BATH used remember -- I have a collection of TEST negs 120 and 35mm on various films but as this Site does not allow 'NEG SCANS' cannot show you -- have a look at my FLICKR page instead !! ------
https://www.flickr.com/photos/25850987@N03/
Old 31st January 2022, 06:19 PM
Administrator

Negative scans are fine for technical illustration purposes - they are only banned from being displayed as a final photographic product because, except in the most unusual circumstances, they are not the finished product and we wanted to encourage darkroom prints.

I'd also echo your commendation of John Finch's youtube channel - a lot of very interesting videos there. The ones comparing the various developers I found particularly interesting and they prompted me to revisit Pyrocat HD once more, which I used to use but got out of the habit of.

Cheers, Bob.

Last edited by Bob; 1st February 2022 at 03:40 AM.
Old 31st January 2022, 10:38 PM
Friend

Hi Gentlemen, am I right in thinking the way to find John Finch on YouTube is to look for Pictorial Planet?
Old 1st February 2022, 08:34 AM
Friend

Yes type in pictorialplanet as One Word
Old 1st February 2022, 10:08 AM
Friend

Default 510-Pyro at 1:200

OK Folks -- Some NEG SCANS to 'Illustrate Experiments!
Canon FTBn + 50mm f1.4 SSC lens, Vivitar 283 flash 'Off Camera' -- I wanted to try the 510-Pyro at 1:200 dilution for slow, contrasty films and did a short length on fresh AGFA APX 400 in another tank. I got a 'Brown Stain' The KB14 is fogged a bit
APX 400 was 15 mins and the KB40 and KB14 was 8 mins in same tank.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	510 - Pyro Agfa APX 400.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	251.7 KB
ID:	4344   Click image for larger version

Name:	510-Pyro KB14.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	187.7 KB
ID:	4345   Click image for larger version

Name:	510-Pyro KB40.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	218.7 KB
ID:	4346  
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies