Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome Film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 29th November 2021, 08:30 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molli View Post
A great deal of my film is getting a tad long in the tooth, Neopan and Acros both refrigerated since purchased and expired in 2010 and 2014 respectively. I use both at box speed and develop them in D76 1:1 for Fuji's listed times without incident.

I used some Shanghai GP3 100 which expired back in 2012 and decided to give one roll another stop of light. It was a stop overexposed, according to my proof sheet. Developed as per datasheet.

When I've developed very old, previously exposed film (1950s-1970s) my go to is D76 1:1 for 10 minutes - but I've not been invested in the outcome of any of those films. It's always resulted in images, though!
When you say 'refrigerated' do you mean actually frozen, or just in the ordinary part of the fridge where you would store food before eating?
Old 7th December 2021, 01:12 PM
Friend

So I developed that expired roll of HP5 this weekend, and it turned out quite well. Rated at 200 iso, developed for 10 min. in D76 1+1. There is lots of contrast, good densities, no blown highlights - nice punchy negs. The only flaw is that base fog appears high, as the film edges appear darker than normal. I will compare more closely to other rolls of HP5, but I'm pretty sure this is not how a fresh film should look. Not sure at this point whether I will use the remaining few rolls to do anything important - I will scan these negs and see how they look.

Many thanks again to all who gave advice here.
Old 7th December 2021, 01:42 PM
Friend

I'm glad to hear you were able to get images on your film.
I have used Benzotriazole with HP5 (not Plus) which expired back in 1982.
It wasn't any sort of controlled test for a first time use with expired film, because I was also using a Diana F+ for the first time.
So, barely controlled exposures in a camera which I - oops - left the adapter inside intended for use only with an Instax Film Back.
At any rate, while I would recommend it for clearing up that fog, do be sure to add extra development time as the benzotriazole will slow things right down. I used the standard 13min. D76 1:1 without any restrainer. I upped that to 16min. with 5ml of 1% Benzotriazole which was better, but that particular roll of film went through an early 1900s Kodak Brownie 2A Model C which brought along its own issues.

Mr. King, apologies, I didn't see your question. The above mentioned HP5 wasn't included in my earlier response because it was gifted to me fairly recently, so not new nor film previously exposed long before I was even born.
The film I referred to was bought new and just refrigerated in the fridge I'm apparently supposed to store food in - if there was room for such fripperies 😁
Old 7th December 2021, 02:34 PM
Friend

Hi Molli,

Thanks for the tip on Benzotriazole. I think I still have some of the Edwal liquid stuff.

But I wonder if there are developers which inherently clear up such base fog, without needing to add anything else? I think Rodinal might be one of those, but I'm not fond of it with HP5. I have Microphen, HC110 and Xtol in my stores. I will check into them and see if they might work better than D76.
Old 7th December 2021, 02:50 PM
Friend

I'm fairly certain that HC110 is the developer most often recommended for old film. As mentioned, my recent use of Benzotriazole with expired film was a first for me. I'm happy to mess around with old paper because there's always a do-over option. Not so with film. I've pretty much convinced myself that I would take my only seriously good photo on expired film that fails to develop so my retention of information on how best to treat it is rather low.

I still read it all... I just don't retain much of it!

I'll check my notes and saved bookmarks, though. From memory, much of it came from a site dedicated to found film.
There's also David Lyga's write up on Photrio which I turned into a pdf, converting his volume measurements to weight for my own sanity and consistency. . I copied it all out for paper rescue, but there was a comprehensive section on old film to start with. It involved higher temperatures, a high contrast hydroquinone developer and longer exposures depending on age. While I put together around the edges to try Mr. Lyga's methods, I've still yet to try them.

I'll find you some links.
Old 7th December 2021, 03:25 PM
Friend

Fog Killers

From the Found Film by Amirko on their livejournal site:

https://foundfilm.livejournal.com/16982.html

David Lyga's Formulę and Methods for Dealing with Age-Fogged Film and Paper on Photrio:

https://www.photrio.com/forum/thread...-papers.161268
Old 7th December 2021, 03:38 PM
Friend

Good find! Thank you Molli.

The first guy uses HC110, which I happen to have on hand and should work well with HP5. Easy solution.
Old 7th December 2021, 04:05 PM
Friend

I'm fairly certain the Found Film website was the first I ever came across on the subject. I started developing film for a friend who ran a second hand camera store back before I ever developed any film of my own. The film was just whatever turned up in the cameras he bought at estate and collectors' sales. I only ever had D76 on hand, so that's what I used. No experiments for me back then.

I hope the HC110 does the trick for you. It's interesting to note that the writer of that blog decided that colder development was the way to go, where David Lyga runs his developers at 27°C/80°F. Mind you, David says himself that his method is somewhat complicated!
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies