Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 9th January 2022, 06:14 PM
Friend

I have the option of a LPL C7700 with a Novex R, 60 second timer, It has a Schneider-Kreuznach 50mm 1.4 lens , The negative holder is a sliding blade type .
Old 9th January 2022, 08:33 PM
Friend

That is a good enlarger which was available new until very recently (it may still be available). I’m not familiar with the timer, but you can use any timer that suits. I would be surprised if the lens is actually f1.4. It’s more likely to be f4.0. I’m not aware of any 50mm enlarger lenses with apertures larger than f2.8. You will need a 90mm, or perhaps a 105mm for your 6x7 negatives. Firstcall Photographic sold LPL, and would be a good bet for spares. I can’t recall what the negative carrier is like, but I’m sure the ones in the darkroom where I came across them had metal mask inserts for 35mm. It may be that you can get a variety of different carriers for various film formats, and a universal one with moveable blades.
Alex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 9th January 2022, 09:53 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmuir View Post
That is a good enlarger which was available new until very recently (it may still be available). I’m not familiar with the timer, but you can use any timer that suits. I would be surprised if the lens is actually f1.4. It’s more likely to be f4.0. I’m not aware of any 50mm enlarger lenses with apertures larger than f2.8. You will need a 90mm, or perhaps a 105mm for your 6x7 negatives. Firstcall Photographic sold LPL, and would be a good bet for spares. I can’t recall what the negative carrier is like, but I’m sure the ones in the darkroom where I came across them had metal mask inserts for 35mm. It may be that you can get a variety of different carriers for various film formats, and a universal one with moveable blades.
Alex.
Firstcall have a very limited number of spares for LPL now. You possibly may be able to pick spares from with Second Hand Darkroom. I have a spare LPL 7700 head which fully works and has the transformer with it.
The carrier for the 7700 is either a 6x7 universal with sliding blades so you can adjust it to fit the negative or part of the negative. Alternatively they had glassless carriers to take a 6x4.5, 6x6 or 35mm negative. I am not sure if they made a 6x7 glassless carrier, I certainly have never seen one.

Last edited by John King; 9th January 2022 at 10:01 PM.
Old 10th January 2022, 08:59 AM
Friend

Take a look at Philips enlargers on eBay. They are an as-yet-unrecognised gem: surprisingly well designed and made, but still cheap.
There's a photo on my Instagram here (swipe to second photo).

If you don't intend to do colour and you don't mind using under-lens filters for multigrade paper, you don't need the version with the colour head (the part most likely to fail), so it will be cheaper still. I bought mine in about 1990 and I see absolutely no reason to change. Using a pearl bulb the system is a hybrid of diffuser and condenser. I generally print 16"x12", but have done 20"x16" (from 35mm); however, there is actually no limit because when you run out of enlarger column height you can turn the enlarger head sideways and project onto a wall. Spend your money instead on a good enlarger lens (or two), a solid workspace, and a good easel.

The condensers for 6x6 and 35mm are different, so you would need to ensure you got both. The negative carrier comes (as originally sold) with options so that it can be used glass-less, with one glass, or with two. I'm afraid I don't know whether this enlarger will cope with 6x7.

http://www.allmyeye.co.uk
Old 10th January 2022, 05:25 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmuir View Post
Alex.

Hi , The lens is F4
Old 10th January 2022, 05:32 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by snusmumriken View Post
Take a look at Philips enlargers on eBay. They are an as-yet-unrecognised gem: surprisingly well designed and made, but still cheap.
There's a photo on my Instagram here (swipe to second photo).

If you don't intend to do colour and you don't mind using under-lens filters for multigrade paper, you don't need the version with the colour head (the part most likely to fail), so it will be cheaper still. I bought mine in about 1990 and I see absolutely no reason to change. Using a pearl bulb the system is a hybrid of diffuser and condenser. I generally print 16"x12", but have done 20"x16" (from 35mm); however, there is actually no limit because when you run out of enlarger column height you can turn the enlarger head sideways and project onto a wall. Spend your money instead on a good enlarger lens (or two), a solid workspace, and a good easel.

The condensers for 6x6 and 35mm are different, so you would need to ensure you got both. The negative carrier comes (as originally sold) with options so that it can be used glass-less, with one glass, or with two. I'm afraid I don't know whether this enlarger will cope with 6x7.
Thanks for the info , Looks like a nice darkroom space you have
Old 10th January 2022, 09:33 PM
Friend

There are quite a few LPL 7700 enlargers and parts on eBay UK just now, including a glassless 6x7 carrier.
Alex

Old 13th January 2022, 09:53 PM
Friend

A good s/h enlarger for the money would be the Opemus Magnifax, even the Meopta Opemus for formats up to 6x6 (the Opemus 7 does cover 6x7). Unless specifically stated a lens is not included and you'll need a quality lens. I use Minolta Rokkor CE's - a 50 mm for 35 mm and an 80 for up to 6x7) You may well have to buy a negative carrier. One is usually included but if yiu're using 35 mmm and 120 film you'll probably only be able to use one.
Old 14th January 2022, 04:43 PM
Friend

The Meopta Tessar type lenses are good ones: Anaret. Belar are three lenses type, not as good.

Last edited by Uwe Pilz; 14th January 2022 at 04:46 PM.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies