Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 27th December 2021, 03:12 PM
Friend

Default Ebay listing mentioning 'Hasselblad XPan' at $125.00

This link for a listing caught my eye with the words describing it as, 'Hasselblad XPan' for US $125.00 . The description doesn't even say 'For parts only'. Now imagine my surprise when I followed the link!!!:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12504549806...EAAOSwrWxhs~XE

Well, I've seen some badly described cameras before, but this one is well over described and over priced!!!

The seller even has the cheek to say, 'pocket sized, alternative to an X-Pan.' And would you believe that, 'It only shoots panoramic *cropped* 35mm.'.

Now where's the telephone number for the False Advertising Brigade when you need it?...

Terry S
Old 27th December 2021, 06:40 PM
Friend

And it has scratches on the lens !
Old 29th December 2021, 02:46 PM
Friend

And here's another using the word 'Leica' in a listing for a Panasonic P+S camera!!

'Panasonic Film Camera Mini Zoom 35mm Compact Point & Shoot Leica + MINT BOXED +'

The price is bad enough but then he has the cheek to charge p/p as well!!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203735822...QAAOSwQdhgLSbp

Terry S
Old 29th December 2021, 04:07 PM
Friend

I do believe some Panasonic cameras did have Leica (Named) lenses but this one has the cover over the lens so you cannot see what it is.

I have just done a quick search and this is what I found

The Panasonic mini&Zoom C2200 ZM is a 35mm film camera of the mid-range to upper range series. It was first released in 1992 (?) when the digital market was not yet a market at all. It has a moderate zoom that covers 35-70mm in a very small body. There was a date version, which is shown here. There is very little information about the camera, let alone a manual. I took the information from ads. Its main features are:

35-70mm F4-7.6 lens, 7 elements in 7 groups, autofocus with focus lock, min. focus 0,6m
Electronic shutter, 1/400-1/4
Size 122 x 68 x 42 cm, Weight 249 gr. including battery and strap
50-3200 ISO, automatic DX coding, automatic film advance, 4 flash modes, self timer

It does not appear to have any connection with Leica what so ever and using the word Leica is completely wrong. There are other similar cameras on sale fleabay priced in the Lower part of £40-50. The seller is a shiester.

Last edited by John King; 29th December 2021 at 04:20 PM.
Old 29th December 2021, 11:36 PM
Friend

I don’t think the first ad for the panoramic camera is fooling anyone who is looking for an Xpan. The seller is just using a technique to make potential buyers look at his ad. If you really wanted an Xpan, it’s an annoying waste of time. Unfortunately, lots of sellers use the same technique, but I don’t think it is misdescription.
The other camera may well be related to a Leica branded product. Leica sold several 35mm compact cameras at a range of prices. I had an early model with dual lenses, rather than a zoom. I’m sure Minolta made the body and mechanics, Leica supplying the glass. Minolta marketed an identical camera without the Leica lens. I’m not familiar with this particular model, but the innards and spec, apart from the zoom lens, look very similar to the Leica Minilux. There was also a Minilux zoom. Whether the fact that the mechanics of an electronic compact camera labelled Panasonic also formed the basis of a Leica model, however, is probably of little real significance, but it sounds good. Like the first ad, I don’t think this seller has misdescribed the product, just made it sound more interesting than it really is.
As for the prices, they are pretty optimistic!
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 30th December 2021, 02:05 AM
Administrator

Keyword spamming is rife on ebay and Amazon. It is against their terms and conditions, but good luck getting anything done if you report it. I gave up reporting anything on those platforms years ago. They do not care about anything as long as they get their fees.
Old 30th December 2021, 08:25 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
Keyword spamming is rife on ebay and Amazon. It is against their terms and conditions, but good luck getting anything done if you report it. I gave up reporting anything on those platforms years ago. They do not care about anything as long as they get their fees.
That is another reason why I will not have anything to do with either (dis)organisations.

I did briefly join Ebay some years ago to see what was involved, but never made a bid or bought anything because I did not like their work ethics. I instructed them to remove my name and details from their database but they didn't and after GDPR came into force I made a formal complaint to the ICO's office, but still I keep getting what I now class as spam E mails from them. They should not be allowed to continue to be in business.
They are so big they think that they are impregnable.
Old 11th January 2022, 10:00 PM
Friend

Ebay is full of comedians, leave them in their ignorance,they dont realise they are being laughed at, chancers the lot of them
Even the japs and yanks are trying to take the pee by targeting ebayers in the UK, laugh at them too
Old 22nd January 2022, 08:11 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by John King View Post
That is another reason why I will not have anything to do with either (dis)organisations.

I did briefly join Ebay some years ago to see what was involved, but never made a bid or bought anything because I did not like their work ethics. I instructed them to remove my name and details from their database but they didn't and after GDPR came into force I made a formal complaint to the ICO's office, but still I keep getting what I now class as spam E mails from them. They should not be allowed to continue to be in business.
They are so big they think that they are impregnable.
When something like that happens, the only thing is to log in to your account and change your email address to a temporary one that you will never use again (because they always send a confirmation email to confirm the email address is real) and also change all your other details to nonsense. There are dozens of temporary email sites online. You could try again to get your account deleted - most firms have gotten better at things like that in recent years.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies