Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - small format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 3rd May 2016, 09:28 PM
Friend

Default Leica M3 service

Hi folks
Im toying with the idea of getting a 1956 m3 (double stroke)at a reasonable price
The seller told me the rangefinder is clear with no defects and the shutter speeds are spot on etc, it has a few tiny scratches from normal use, i intend to actually take photos with this belive it or not instead of collecting it
In case it needs a service, were is the best place to send it
when i had a rolleiflex i sent it to Brian mickelboro because he was factory trained at rolleiflex, and it come back working a lot better
Newton and Ellis is not far and was i thinking about them too
Basically someone who will use the right lube/tools and knows an M3 inside out, i know all camera repairers know their onions but it is an M3
Paddy
Old 4th May 2016, 06:08 AM
Friend

Malcolm Taylor near Leominster is about the best. He actually does the servicing and restoration for the Leitz factory collection.

Ian
Old 6th May 2016, 06:54 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostlabours View Post
Malcolm Taylor near Leominster is about the best. He actually does the servicing and restoration for the Leitz factory collection.

Ian
I heard malcom was the best but very long turnaround times due to popularity
Any idea what he charges for a service for an m3
Paddy
Old 6th May 2016, 08:33 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddy View Post
I heard malcom was the best but very long turnaround times due to popularity
Any idea what he charges for a service for an m3
Paddy
It's some years since I had my M3 repaired and it went to Leitz themselves in London. Somehow I'd cracked the viewfinder glass, Leitz said every camera also had a CLA as well as the repair and that was reflected in the estimate.

However after they replaced the finder glass they checked the camera, found everything working properly and told me it wasn't that long since the camera had been serviced, the final charge was much lower than the estimate. (It was 3 or 4 years).

I bought my M3 from Stephens Cameras in Manchester (a Leica dealer) so it would have been serviced. I bought a "user" camera that had slight marks on the body but was mechanically sound.

Leica's don't really need very frequent servicing unless they have heavy usage.

Ian
Old 6th May 2016, 12:04 PM
Friend

I will see how it goes when i get it today
It is 60 years old but i hear old leicas are pretty robust unless it has been dropped etc, hopefully it will be 100% operational like the shop said
Going to have to save up for a lens now, that will take a few months
Paddy
Old 7th May 2016, 01:59 AM
Friend

The m3 come today
It,s a 1956 dual stroke and seems to be working 100% so could put a service off for a while, all the shutter speeds are ok, the self timer is a work of art , the rangefinder is clean and no sign of deteriation
All i can say is what a piece of engineering and cant wait for the day i can afford a 50mm summicron lens for it (DR or 1v summicron)
Paddy
Old 8th May 2016, 12:49 PM
Friend

I hope you enjoy it. They are wonderful cameras. I had a M2 which was my favourite Leica. (Speak it softly - I had an M8 and a M9 as well!!!)
Old 8th May 2016, 01:49 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Cocker View Post
I hope you enjoy it. They are wonderful cameras. I had a M2 which was my favourite Leica. (Speak it softly - I had an M8 and a M9 as well!!!)
I have give it a run today without film today (or a lens )
All the slower shutter speeds seem to be spot on, all the controls work so im happy
I have noticed a lot of photos taken with leica film cameras are blurred, i know Henri cartier bresson said "sharpness is a borjois concept" but i think that is ridicuolous, i think everyone is trying to be like him
Paddy
Old 13th May 2016, 10:08 PM
Friend

Got my eye on a 35mm f2.8 summaron with goggles, need the goggles due to no 35mm finder framelines
Really like the online photos i have seen with this lens, nice vintage rich tonality and smooth grain with tri x, looks like the leica look people speak of
Paddy
Old 19th May 2016, 07:39 PM
Friend

My pal Phil Rogers of this FADU parish speaks highly of Canon's Leica M lenses and they 're around half the price of equivalent Leitz glass. Just a thought.

www.theonlinedarkroom.com
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies