Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome Film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 25th January 2021, 01:54 PM
Friend

[QUOTE=Terry S;138013]A good job, you've done there Rob.

And I really like the contrast that you have managed to get with it.

As for me wondering what POTA was, and I'm assuming I wasn't the only one to wonder, it means, 'PHENIDONE EXTENDED RANGE DEVELOPER (POTA)'.

OR, on one post they say something different to that:

'First of all, what is POTA? According to The Film Developing Cookbook (Anchell & Troop, 1998, Focal Press, 165 pp. ISBN-13: 978-0-240-80277-0), POTA was developed by Martin Levy and the formula published in 1967. The acronym POTA stands for Photo-Optics Technical Area at the Ft. Monmouth military installation where Levy was employed

POTA is cheap and easy to make and a LOT cheaper than Adox Adotech IV - the recommended dev for CMS20ii.

Water (35 DegC) 500ml
Sodium Sulphite 30g
Phenidone 1.5g
Water to 1000ml

Use it within an hour. 1l will do 3 films or you can make up less.

I rated it at 12 ISO and developed it for 12 minutes at 20 DegC but, looking at the negs I suepect 6 ISO and a dev time of maybe 10 minutes would have been better. I'll experiment with it again someday.

I believe it was originally developed to photograph nuclear blasts - not a regular subject for me!

Last edited by Rob Archer; 25th January 2021 at 01:59 PM.
Old 25th January 2021, 04:47 PM
Friend

[QUOTE=Rob Archer;138015]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
A good job, you've done there Rob.

And I really like the contrast that you have managed to get with it.

As for me wondering what POTA was, and I'm assuming I wasn't the only one to wonder, it means, 'PHENIDONE EXTENDED RANGE DEVELOPER (POTA)'.

OR, on one post they say something different to that:

'First of all, what is POTA? According to The Film Developing Cookbook (Anchell & Troop, 1998, Focal Press, 165 pp. ISBN-13: 978-0-240-80277-0), POTA was developed by Martin Levy and the formula published in 1967. The acronym POTA stands for Photo-Optics Technical Area at the Ft. Monmouth military installation where Levy was employed

POTA is cheap and easy to make and a LOT cheaper than Adox Adotech IV - the recommended dev for CMS20ii.

Water (35 DegC) 500ml
Sodium Sulphite 30g
Phenidone 1.5g
Water to 1000ml

I rated it at 12 ISO and developed it for 12 minutes at 20 DegC but, looking at the negs I suepect 6 ISO and a dev time of maybe 10 minutes would have been better. I'll experiment with it again someday.

I believe it was originally developed to photograph nuclear blasts - not a regular subject for me!
The nearest you could get is to go and photograph the plane wreck of the RB29A Super Fortress that crashed on Bleaklow. The plane was named Over Exposed, it was used to photograph atomic bombs dropped on Bikini Atol. See
https://peakdistrictwalks.net/higher...ne-crash-site/
Old 25th January 2021, 05:10 PM
Friend

[QUOTE=GoodOldNorm;138018]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Archer View Post
The nearest you could get is to go and photograph the plane wreck of the RB29A Super Fortress that crashed on Bleaklow. The plane was named Over Exposed, it was used to photograph atomic bombs dropped on Bikini Atol. See
https://peakdistrictwalks.net/higher...ne-crash-site/
Definitely somewhere to go once we're allowed out!
Old 25th January 2021, 05:30 PM
Friend

[QUOTE=Rob Archer;138019]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodOldNorm View Post

Definitely somewhere to go once we're allowed out!
Rob, make sure you have good waterproof boots on it gets quite muddy/boggy up there, flask and sandwiches also essential.
There used to be a good fish n chip shop in Glossop, don't know if it is still trading, like you say it is worth a day out when covid restrictions have been lifted. I have been up there on my own in inclement weather, I had an emotional moment thinking of all the poor lads that died. Can be a strange place if you let your imagination run away with you, its not called Bleaklow for nothing.
Old 25th January 2021, 06:11 PM
Friend

Very good, Rob. Also heard that it is rewarding once you master it.
Frank
Old 26th January 2021, 02:59 PM
Friend

I used a roll years ago but was not impressed not used since. It has been that long I cannot remember which dev I used it was not the one recommended.
Don't be put off give it a go it maybe to your liking.

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 26th January 2021, 05:46 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by photomi7ch View Post
I used a roll years ago but was not impressed not used since. It has been that long I cannot remember which dev I used it was not the one recommended.
Don't be put off give it a go it maybe to your liking.
It needs to be developed in a specific low-contrast developer or the contrast will be too high to print unless you're into 'soot & whitewash' prints. The recommended developer is Adox Adotech IV which I'm sure is excellent but only does 4 films per bottle at £19.62! I used home-brewed POTA which is cheap and cheerful but works well and costs peanuts.

I guess Adox CMS20ii is an excellent film once one gets used to its quirks but, for me personally, it doesn't give me anything that PanF+ doesn't, and that's a lot easier to work with.
Old 29th January 2021, 11:58 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Archer View Post
It needs to be developed in a specific low-contrast developer or the contrast will be too high to print unless you're into 'soot & whitewash' prints. The recommended developer is Adox Adotech IV which I'm sure is excellent but only does 4 films per bottle at £19.62! I used home-brewed POTA which is cheap and cheerful but works well and costs peanuts.

I guess Adox CMS20ii is an excellent film once one gets used to its quirks but, for me personally, it doesn't give me anything that PanF+ doesn't, and that's a lot easier to work with.
Thanks for the info Rob if I use it again I will bare what you have said in mind

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 15th June 2022, 07:44 PM
Friend

Water (35 DegC) 500ml
Sodium Sulphite 30g
Phenidone 1.5g
Water to 1000ml

[/QUOTE]

Rob a thread and video involving Adox CMS 20 and POTA has prompted this question:

What do you mean about "makeup less"? For instance if you had only one 35mm film to develop so needed only 250ml of POTA how much of the above ingredients would you use?

Thanks

Mike
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies