Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - Large Format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 28th December 2019, 03:54 PM
Friend

Default Patent Etui holders

Hello all - just getting back into LF after disposing of my 5x7 kit, I live on a boat now so space always being at a premium, I used the "excuse" to buy a 9x12 Patent Etui with 4.5 Xenar. It looks in good condition (not arrived yet) but has no plate/film holders.

I mostly like shooting paper negatives, or direct positive, so I'm used to cutting up and making do with whatever plate holders I've got, but having a holder that fits helps a lot.

Have spent a few hours Googling a definitive answer to what plate holders will work in an Etui, lots of leads but nothing that really states an answer. I have seen some pictures of cameras with accompanying single holders that looked like they had thin lips along the long sides, but no details on the 'locating lips' that sometimes flare out at the end near the light seals. Can anyone provide a definitive description (and better still, photos) of a 9x12 holder that will definitely fit?

TIA

6th plate paper negative in Graphex frankenformat:

CabinOnTheHillside by Andy Booth, on Flickr

Last edited by BooWonderland; 28th December 2019 at 04:13 PM.
Old 28th December 2019, 06:35 PM
Friend

Hi and welcome to Fadu, sorry I can't help you with your question but if Ian sees this then he will, I'm sure have some help as he is a mine of information
Richard
Old 28th December 2019, 07:48 PM
Friend

Hi and welcome to FADU. Not a LF user so can't help but as Richard says Ian for one is a mine of information.

If I may ask is your boat sea-going/ canal narrowboat/ river cruiser? Thanks

Mike
Old 28th December 2019, 09:28 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
Hi and welcome to FADU. Not a LF user so can't help but as Richard says Ian for one is a mine of information.

If I may ask is your boat sea-going/ canal narrowboat/ river cruiser? Thanks

Mike
Hi Mike - narrowboat, I live on her all year round as a continuous cruiser.
Old 29th December 2019, 04:08 AM
Friend

Andy, I'm assuming you know about https://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/index.php

A mine of information on anything LF related. I'd ask there if you haven't already.
Old 29th December 2019, 08:56 AM
Friend

There's two slightly different holders that fit 9x12 Patent Eutui's. Have a look at this thread on Photrio. You'll see I've posted Illustration of the numerous edge types.

Essentially the thickness of the lip was changed at some point = I have 2 and the holders that fitt my one (currently in Turkey) don't fit the other but are more standard and fit a few of my 9x12 cameras.

They are amazingly small LF cameras when you think 9x12 is almost the same as 5x4 just narrower on the long edge.

With a Graflex Crown Graphic and 6x45 Ikonta,520.

My main Patent Etue with a more Typical German 9x12 camera, I think my Rodenstock (Welta). Mine has a 135mm f4.5 Tessar.

You will also need film sheath inserts for 9x12 plate holders but these are standard. While I still have a lot of metal 9x12 plate holders I've none spare for Patent Etui cameras.

Finding holders is rather hit and miss, I bought 3 boxes with maybe 300+ metal plate holders of various sizes some years ago.

Had you needed 6.9x9 Patent Etui plate holders I could have helped as I have 3 cased sets of 3.

Ian
Old 29th December 2019, 03:05 PM
Friend

Thanks Ian, much appreciated - I'd read that thread on photrio before but couldn't work out a definitive 'these fit' answer, but on rereading I saw you said:

"All the 9x12 holder I have that will fit my Orion Werks & Rodenstock, (and scrap Ernemann) cameras will fit both my Patent Etui's."

....later in the thread, so going back to the first 2 posts, those are slides that you said fit your Orion Werks and Rodenstock, and therefore your KW too, that right?

I understand that nothing is very definitive prewar, but that would be enough for me to take reasonable punts on fleabay for holders that look ok.
Old 29th December 2019, 04:49 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BooWonderland View Post
Hi Mike - narrowboat, I live on her all year round as a continuous cruiser.
Thanks for the reply. Having spent a full week on a narrowboat for a holiday it was great but ,boy, it would require more tidiness than I think I have to live on one permanently.

Living in S Northants we are spoilt for choice in terms of canals

Mike
Old 3rd January 2020, 06:36 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BooWonderland View Post
Hello all - just getting back into LF after disposing of my 5x7 kit, I live on a boat now so space always being at a premium,
Do you have an onboard darkroom or do you hunt for public ones?

I live ten minutes walk from the Calder & Hebble Navigation so regularly enjoy the local canal - albeit on foot

Tags
9x12, patent etui, plate
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies