Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome Film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 30th September 2020, 06:22 AM
Friend

Sorry, Stocky. I didn’t notice your location. No doubt prices will be different all over. Your point about DDX’s strength is a good one. I’ve read that some people dilute it 1+6 quite happily and even 1+9. It would be good if Ilford gave us some accurate info about that but they seem quite happy for people to use more of their product at 1+4 for obvious reasons.
Old 30th September 2020, 08:05 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stocky View Post
I mix up ID-68 from ingredients and that satisfies my need to use a more economical speed increasing developer but I must admit that the initial setup costs (a 10 year supply of phenidone, kilograms of various other ingredients) make the saving an illusion I suppose. I do use most of the same ingredients for paper developer and there is a saving there.
I used Microphen and later ID-68 replenished, it's the most economic way.

Later I used ID-11 replenished in deep tanks but kept using ID-68 for push processing HP5.

Phenidone keeps well I still ahve some Ilford Phenidone made in 1961

Ian
Old 30th September 2020, 11:06 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostlabours View Post

Phenidone keeps well I still ahve some Ilford Phenidone made in 1961

Ian
Thanks pretty good Ian. I suspect and, in my own case know, that some of us haven't kept that well since 1961

Mike
Old 18th October 2020, 11:03 AM
Friend

DD-X works perfectly well diluted further than 1+4. I made some notes in the early 2000s and its qualities are remarkably similar to Microphen and diluting it to 1+9 is akin to using Microphen diluted instead of stock. In fact, this suggests to me that using it at 1+4 is a bit wasteful.

Ilford's David Carper stated in one 2004 discussion:
"You will get finer grain with the DD-X than with the MICROPHEN, although not quite as much shadow detail (film speed). The grain will be similar to ID-11 1+1 or slightly finer"

Use DD-X 1+9 and develop for 150% of Ilford's (or your own) time for 1+4.

DD-X is more convenient than powder but I've found no other advantage over ID-11 used at 1+1 or 1+3.
Old 19th October 2020, 01:38 AM
Friend

Surely Xtol run as a replenishment system has got to be the world's best and cheapest ready-made developer. Here in Australia it costs me about 30 cents per film. That's about 17p in UK money. And it is extraordinarily long lived. The batch I mixed in 2007 is still going strong at a replenishment rate of 90ml per film.
The word Photography first uttered and defined by its author Sir John Herschel at Somerset House, London on the evening of March 14, 1839: quote "Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation" unquote.
Old 19th October 2020, 02:19 PM
Friend

I'm as tight-fisted as they come and for medium speed films would use a one shot 1:50 dilution of Foma's R09. The concentrate lasts almost for ever and the dilution needs only 6 ml of concentrate for 35 mm film.
Old 19th October 2020, 02:33 PM
Friend

I bought some fotospeed FD10 5L . from AG the price is £31.30 ,I have a roll of FP4 to develope I will give it a go in FD10 maybe tonight ,I will let you know how I get on ......

www.essexcockney.com
Old 20th October 2020, 12:23 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by big paul View Post
I bought some fotospeed FD10 5L
I hope you have some smaller bottles to decant the 5 litres Paul, for I buy in larger amounts as well, as the savings can be really good. But, if left in the 5 litre container (especially developer), oxidation will occur and bang goes the savings. That is unless you use it often enough to leave it as is?

Terry S
Old 20th October 2020, 01:00 PM
Friend

thanks Terry Yes I decant in to smaller bottles ,did you have a look at my x-ray photos ,I put on my Albums ,they are not that good but they are just to show the quality of the x-ray film ..
Old 20th October 2020, 03:22 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by big paul View Post
thanks Terry Yes I decant in to smaller bottles ,did you have a look at my x-ray photos ,I put on my Albums ,they are not that good but they are just to show the quality of the x-ray film ..
Yes, I had a quick look last night on my phone Paul. I will check them out on my computer screen later on.

I was quite surprised with the tonal range you got, as I was under the impression x-ray film was really high contrast, but you've showed me other wise.

Terry S
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies