Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome Film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 18th November 2020, 09:40 PM
Friend

Default silly mistakes

I made a silly mistake and just developed a roll of fomapan 100, three minutes longer than needed ,I knew it was the wrong time but I just blundered on blindly .The film does look over developed ,but I will know how bad it is when I get to print some of it .....Whata Mistaka To makea
Old 18th November 2020, 10:17 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by big paul View Post
I made a silly mistake and just developed a roll of fomapan 100, three minutes longer than needed ,
So Paul, what should the normal development time have been?

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 19th November 2020, 12:34 AM
Friend

with DD-x I dev at 8mins ,but I looked at my notes and looked at the kentmere 100 times that are 11 mins ,I knew it was wrong ,but I still went ahead with 11mins ,for some reason it has really bugged me .but I will get over it ,,..
Old 19th November 2020, 12:53 PM
Friend

Paul I can't believe that anybody is more paranoic about this than me but I suspect that it may not be as bad as it sounds. Printing "through it" as they say may well still you reasonable prints.

For our education it would certainly be useful to see what effect this has on the print

Thanks

Mike
Old 19th November 2020, 12:59 PM
Friend

The majority of my 1980's developed films were over developed. It must have been something I read at the time, but I always gave the development times just a bit longer, as I thought more was better than less.

They turned out very dark, looking at them with a fresh eye today, but I have printed some of them in recent years and with modern papers and chemicals, I made some prints that I was very happy with. The only downside was the very extended exposure times in the darkroom.

Terry S
Old 19th November 2020, 04:02 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by big paul View Post
I made a silly mistake and just developed a roll of fomapan 100, three minutes longer than needed ,I knew it was the wrong time but I just blundered on blindly .The film does look over developed ,but I will know how bad it is when I get to print some of it .....Whata Mistaka To makea
Made plenty of them in my time! But never the cardinal sin of taking photographs with no film in my camera.
Old 19th November 2020, 04:39 PM
Friend

I have made more mistakes than I care to remember, including taking a roll of film in a Leica with the lens cap on, and another roll of film that hadn't been loaded properly, and so wasn't winding on, only cottoned on to that on when I realised that I must of taken 40 or more frames on a 36
Richard
Old 19th November 2020, 06:21 PM
Print Exchange Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by John King View Post
Made plenty of them in my time! But never the cardinal sin of taking photographs with no film in my camera.
I have done that - of a paddling companion swimming with seals while I held on to her kayak. A unique occurrence I am unlikely to see again and the photographs would have, of course, been brilliant never mind unique.

And I have put a film through the camera twice: I still have the negatives!

Mike
Old 20th November 2020, 02:07 PM
Friend

made a contact sheet with said film ,as i expected hi contrast and soft images ,a couple look like they will print ,but they all look like they were shot with a soft filter ,a bit dreamy . when I have some other negs to print .I will do a couple of prints from that roll ....
Old 23rd November 2020, 12:05 PM
Friend

We've probably all been there Paul.
I can remember pulling one roll out of the tank and finding it completely clear. I was baffled, until I realised the developer was still sitting in a measuring cylinder on the kitchen window sill. I'd 'developed' the film in plain tempered water. Genius.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies