Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome Film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 11th July 2021, 08:23 AM
Friend

I've done it once but now, as I only have a small number of 5x4 DDS holders and I only ever use Fomapan 200 film, I reload them as soon as I've emptied them. The are stored in the same cool cupboard as all my film and even thought dated I always select from the bottom of the stack to ensure a regular turnover. I'm probably a bit paranoid about it but that's just me ....
Old 12th July 2021, 11:34 AM
Friend

When I was about 14 or 15 I used my uncles old Ensign glass globe safelight. Meant to take a 15 watt bulb.
I found I could see a lot better with a 75 watt bulb, with the lamp about 18 inches from the enlarger and developer dish, but the smell of the hot plastic bulb holder forced me to go a bit lower to a 60 watt.
Old 31st March 2022, 07:31 AM
Friend

I ask the Jury, does this count as a mistake?

Having spent some time using HP5 in 5x4, but I've reverted to Fomapan 100 as I was missing the look of it. Loaded my holders and had a day out recently, coming back with 8 sheets to process.

On viewing the finished negs I was perplexed to see to different notch codes on a couple of sheets. Yup, I'd managed to overlook a holder that still had HP5 in, and shot it as if it were Foma 100.

Weirdly they looked pretty good. The answer is, Foma 100 I use at 50 and dev for 9 mins. HP5 is 200 for 12.5 mins.
I'd therefore over-exposed the HP5 by 2 stops, but then under-developed by almost 30%. The results look as good as anything I've done on purpose.
Old 31st March 2022, 08:09 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by skellum View Post
I ask the Jury, does this count as a mistake?

Having spent some time using HP5 in 5x4, but I've reverted to Fomapan 100 as I was missing the look of it. Loaded my holders and had a day out recently, coming back with 8 sheets to process.

On viewing the finished negs I was perplexed to see to different notch codes on a couple of sheets. Yup, I'd managed to overlook a holder that still had HP5 in, and shot it as if it were Foma 100.

Weirdly they looked pretty good. The answer is, Foma 100 I use at 50 and dev for 9 mins. HP5 is 200 for 12.5 mins.
I'd therefore over-exposed the HP5 by 2 stops, but then under-developed by almost 30%. The results look as good as anything I've done on purpose.
Well you certainly get my sympathy vote, Colin!
I was using up 4x5" film odds and ends on my last photography trip and it was a bit of a nightmare keeping track of it all. I had Foma 100, Tmax 100, Adox CHS II 100, ilford Ortho Plus, all in holders and boxes using my Calumet film changing box/tent thing. I won't be doing that again in a hurry!
I compromised a little on the processing and like you, they all look fairly printable. Lesson learned! Don't have 4 lots of film stock on the go at the same time.

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 31st March 2022, 08:15 AM
Friend

Default Silly Mistakes

No - make that stupid mistakes!

I developed a roll of Kodak 35mm colour neg film a couple of days ago and the processing went well - BUT - then instead of the fixer after the bleach bath, I poured in what I thought was the fixer, but no, it was plain water and did the normal rotary step for 6 mins. This was followed by 6 x 30 second rinses - or again, so I thought. 5 were plain water but the last was the fix-for ONLY 30 seconds

I took the film out and thought it looked fine but the colours were a little 'off' I put that down to the film being still wet. I hung it up to dry but after 3 hours I checked and it still wasn't dry and still smelled of fixer.

Fortunately I have been able to save it by re-fixing for a further 6 mins, rinsing again and then hanging it up to dry. Yes the colours or not quite right and lack a little saturation and will have to be scanned and worked upon with PS instead of normal darkroom printing.

Why did it happen? Well, I didn't read the labels on my storage bottles for a start and the new fixer is the same colour as water hence the mix up. One mistake I won't make again!

Last edited by John King; 31st March 2022 at 08:19 AM.
Old 31st March 2022, 10:06 AM
Friend

Hi John- Ouch! I don't use colour, but my understanding is that it's both hard to source and expensive just now. You won't want to waste any of it.
At least you rescued some useable negatives.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies