Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome Film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 4th February 2021, 11:03 AM
Friend

Default Out of date at what cost

Have seen an add for Ilford pan F and HP5 for sale at £3-50 a roll. It is 120 format and dated 1990.

Would you have a punt at that price or do you think it is to expensive taking into account the cost of fresh.

I use out of date film a lot so do not have a problem with the uncertainty associated with it use.

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 4th February 2021, 11:09 AM
Friend

The film will be heavily fogged, I would buy fresh film. If it is possible to buy one film and test it that may be the way to go before buying a load of film that is fogged.
Old 4th February 2021, 12:25 PM
Friend

If you want to use cheap film, buy fresh products form Foma. It is cheaper than this, and Foma 200 is a decent film.
Old 4th February 2021, 12:33 PM
Friend

I wouldn't riskn it, film is 20 years or more older, and you don't know how it has been stored, it will most likely be fogged, buy fresh foma, it is a good film, gives good results, and it is in date
Richard
Old 4th February 2021, 12:46 PM
Friend

I agree with the above.....Pan-F seems especially prone to fogging after extended periods of storage, either pre or post exposure.

I found a batch of my own 120 Pan-F had developed markings due to storage and immediately scrapped the rest of the pack. I kept the film for checking developer activity, but wouldn't risk losing worthwhile images.

Mike
Old 4th February 2021, 12:58 PM
Administrator

As it is 120 then there is also the risk of imprinting of the backing paper. At 30 years old, barge-poles spring to mind but then, I do not use expired film (unless it has been frozen by me).

Uwe has the best option - good film is available for 50pence or so above these kinds of prices but if I specifically wanted to play with expired film, I would look for something cheaper.
Old 4th February 2021, 01:11 PM
Friend

I usually buy my Ilford film from Mathers of Lancashire, who list fresh Pan F+ 120 at £4.49 and HP5+ 120 at £4.29.

There doesn't seem to be a very good reason to take the risk on 30-year old film just to save 70p - £1 per roll.
Old 4th February 2021, 01:22 PM
Friend

I'd use film a year or two over, if it had been in my possession and I knew how it had been stored.
I wouldn't buy out of date film, and anything 20 years old is collectible memorabilia in my book. My time, both in taking and processing, is in too short supply to then be disappointed by finding unprintable images.
Old 4th February 2021, 05:33 PM
Friend

I also think it is to pricey to take a punt on. I did think about it but already have enough out of date of my own.

I do have a roll of 35mm fomapan 200 from 2009 that I think I should get on and use, along with a number 120 delta 3200 marked 2010 one of which I used in my 220 experiment with no ill affects I could see.

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 5th February 2021, 11:23 AM
Friend

Imagine you were in Dallas in 1963 with out of date film in your camera and you managed to get a few pictures at the critical moment. But then on developing it you found that your film was rubbish how good would you feel then?

Vincent - Not afraid of the dark

Tags
film, for sale, ilford, out dated
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies