Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome Film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 5th February 2021, 12:03 PM
Print Exchange Manager

I have and do use a lot of out of date film with variable success. These have been of various ages (up 30 years out of date), identity and often from unknown storage conditions. I don't think I would ever actually pay for them unless they were relevantly recently out of date or use it for something that mattered i.e. prior expectations from others. Equally I could not turn down the offer of b&w film.

I mostly take and print photographs for my own enjoyment and interest and if a film doesn't come out, I may be disappointed but there is always the next photograph. I miss far more opportunities by not carrying spare film, haven't got a camera with me or some other reason for not wanting to take photographs (eg the four finger discount).

Mike
Old 5th February 2021, 01:07 PM
Friend

Most black & white film will go a couple of years beyond it's use-by date but it does depend how it's stored. Usually slower films last longer than fast ones (but take note of the comments about PanF). I found a roll of AgfaPan 25 that was about 20 years OOD in the bottom of an old camera bag when I was having a clear-out a couple of years ago. It was a lovely film and I miss it. I took a gamble and shot and developed is as normal and it was absolutely fine. In the same bag was a roll of HP5+. I shot it to test an old camera and it was fogged beyond printability. It had reacted with the backing paper and was mottled. I really wouldn't waste money on really old film. £3.50 a roll is taking the proverbial IMO!
Old 6th February 2021, 09:48 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent View Post
Imagine you were in Dallas in 1963 with out of date film in your camera and you managed to get a few pictures at the critical moment. But then on developing it you found that your film was rubbish how good would you feel then?
Over the years I have had failure with fresh film because I have messed up development the back of the camera came open the list of stupid things go's on. Yes you are right I would be miffed for about two minutes and then move on. I am not the sort of person that dwells on things that go wrong. I take note and try not to do it again. Which is not always possible especially when a hammer is involved

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 6th February 2021, 10:02 AM
Print Exchange Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent View Post
Imagine you were in Dallas in 1963 with out of date film in your camera and you managed to get a few pictures at the critical moment. But then on developing it you found that your film was rubbish how good would you feel then?
Of course that nearly happened to Capa's photographs of the D-day landings. I do not know how much that unfortunate mistake has added to those negatives that were nearly totally lost - never mind the value. The interest and value on any measure in historic and indeed personal memorabilia increases with the rarity of the artefacts which of course increases with age and their survival.

Mike

Last edited by MikeHeller; 6th February 2021 at 10:07 AM.
Old 6th February 2021, 10:09 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinAllan View Post
I usually buy my Ilford film from Mathers of Lancashire, who list fresh Pan F+ 120 at £4.49 and HP5+ 120 at £4.29.

There doesn't seem to be a very good reason to take the risk on 30-year old film just to save 70p - £1 per roll.
Well I never! I used to buy all my film from them perhaps 20+ years ago and had completely forgotten about them. It is good to see they are still in business. I may start using them again, they used to be arguably the cheapest in the trade.

Tags
film, for sale, ilford, out dated
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies