Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome Film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 17th March 2021, 12:48 AM
Friend

Default XP2 developing

Hi
I have found an out of date roll of 35mm XP2 super that I had forgotten about, and being a fan of its smooth look I am keen to us it up sometime soon but only have B &W chemicals, and as Speedibrews Celer Stella developer that developed just about anything seems to have vanished of the face of the Earth ,can anyone recommend a B&W developer to try out on this film instead of the C41 process ?
Thanks
TG
Old 17th March 2021, 07:09 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastman View Post
Hi
I have found an out of date roll of 35mm XP2 super that I had forgotten about, and being a fan of its smooth look I am keen to us it up sometime soon but only have B &W chemicals, and as Speedibrews Celer Stella developer that developed just about anything seems to have vanished of the face of the Earth ,can anyone recommend a B&W developer to try out on this film instead of the C41 process ?
Thanks
TG
I would post it to AG Photographic and have it proccessed.
Old 17th March 2021, 08:57 AM
Friend

There was a thread on the Photrio forum about developing this film in Kodak HC110, using various film speeds. It was quite an extensive thread, and I think was simply titled ‘XP2 in HC110’. The author appeared to be getting good results. I tried it, but wasn’t happy with my results. The negatives were quite thin. That could, however, have been down to poor exposure by me, or the use of conventional B&W filters such as yellow, green and orange. I’ve never seen any guidance about that, but looking back, I think this film perhaps doesn’t work well with B&W filtration. Under exposure is best avoided as the shadow detail disappears. When the film was first released, I am sure that Ilford stated that it could be processed in C41, or B&W chemicals, but I don’t recall if they identified a suitable developer from their own range.
Alex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 17th March 2021, 09:00 AM
Friend

I have developed a number of rolls of XP2s in black and white chemicals. It is straight forward.

You can read how I got on with this blog post

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 17th March 2021, 10:04 AM
Friend

Here is a FADU thread on just this topic. In it, Marty posts a useful link to an interesting article on Ilford's website.
Old 17th March 2021, 10:13 AM
Friend

Thumbs up Xp2

Hi, and thanks.
B&W chems it is, I'm all for a bit of experimenting, and I'll brace myself for a complete disaster, but it will be interesting to see how the negs turn out.
Unlike our previous houses , I'm not in a position to have a Darkroom where I live now, so I dev my films by using a changing bag to load, and the rest is done leaning over the bath , and then I scan any decent looking negs onto the computer so I can then do some basic editing etc, before printing on my printer, A bit of old and new technology, I know this goes against the grain a bit, but its a good way for me to continue to use film although scanning certain B&W negs can open up another can of worms regarding scan quality etc, as some films scan better than others , but once I've used this roll i'll give it a go .
Old 17th March 2021, 10:58 AM
Friend

Default XP2 developing

As an afterthought to my post above, the filter issue may simply be that the factors used for conventional B&as film are not appropriate for this film.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 17th March 2021, 01:13 PM
Friend

Default Xp2

I've just looked on the Digital truth developing chart and it shows various times / dilutions etc for XP2 super and D76 , which surprised me, although this is handy as I have some already, so maybe I'll go down that road and see what happens, unless in the meantime someone says its a definite No No.

Tim
Old 17th March 2021, 02:07 PM
Friend

Although I've never tried it, I have read many forum posts about people developing XP2 in a variety of b/w film chemicals, with good results.

I think that I have only ever used XP2 twice and both times I had it developed at my local Snappy Snaps.

I then took the film into the darkroom and as mentioned else where, it was a sod to get in focus due to the total lack of grain that my eyes are used to.

One print that I printed (at grade 3 I think) was sent out in Print Exchange Round 47. It was taken under room lighting only with a 35mm camera and kit lens, opened right up to f4.5 and it gave me a lovely range of tones and contrast and produced a print I really liked. I did a couple of prints for the lady in the picture, including a 12" x 16" (which had very smooth tones) and she was extremely happy with the pictures, which is always good.

I keep meaning to try the film again and develop it myself this time, in b/w chemistry. I think what put me off doing this previously was the films price at the time, which was a bit more than a standard roll of b/w film, and I was a bit more cautious at trying it then - but no more! .

Terry S
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PE R47 Ann (at The Cliffs meeting XP2 at ISO400.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	124.9 KB
ID:	4099  
Old 17th March 2021, 03:01 PM
Friend

Default Xp2

Nice image, I used XP2 super on numerous occasions many years ago, when I had a Darkroom, and I quite liked the tones and smooth look , I used to use Speedibrews Celer Stellar developer which I also liked and bought direct from Speedibrew, but they seem to have vanished, although Silverprint sold it for a while many moons ago.
Not sure how the Pinkish negs will scan, assuming I can develop it correctly,and the old film itself is workable, a bit of a learning curve but all part of the fun

Last edited by Coastman; 17th March 2021 at 03:03 PM. Reason: Add on
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies