Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome Film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 18th March 2021, 09:32 AM
Friend

I still have the some from the original batch of out dated XP2s from 2013. that I rated at 100 iso the only thing I needed to do was extend the fix time because it was a bit foggy.

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 18th March 2021, 10:04 AM
Friend

Never done it myself, but there's an article on Iford's website on developing XP2 Super in D-76 (and other developers!). Just noticed that there already is a reference to this link earlier in this topic, I find it very informative:
https://www.ilfordphoto.com/ilford-x...ite-chemistry/

Furthermore, here (see last post) someone mentions that you could even bleach, re-expose and then process as C-41 if you're not happy with the D-76 results.
I'm just copy-pasting this here, as I've never tried any of this myself, so please be aware of that.

In fact, I haven't ever shot XP2 although it definitely is on my wish list to shoot someday!
Curious to find out how it prints in the darkroom, as I expect it to be very fine-grained (if not "grainless") when processed in C-41.
Could make for some nice fine detailed large prints!
Old 18th March 2021, 06:29 PM
Friend

Default XP2s

If you've never tried XP2s its well worth a try, when all goes well ,its incredibly smooth and fine grained and is a nice alternative to the more gritty B&W films around.
Old 19th March 2021, 06:27 AM
Friend

Yes will definitely try, it is said to be really low in grain with loads of detail when processed in C-41.
It does seem to lose a little speed in B&W chemistry and some more apparent grain compared to C-41.
Something to be aware of.
Old 19th March 2021, 09:59 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzNL View Post
It does seem to lose a little speed in B&W chemistry and some more apparent grain compared to C-41.
Something to be aware of.
The problem with the "prints" you see on articles about using b&w chemistry is that I can never see a difference in apparent grain.

It might be apparent in say 2 8x10 prints in front of my eyes or it may need larger prints before the prints developed b&w chemicals really "lag" behind in terms quality

My problem is that I just don't know

Mike
Old 19th March 2021, 10:46 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
The problem with the "prints" you see on articles about using b&w chemistry is that I can never see a difference in apparent grain.

It might be apparent in say 2 8x10 prints in front of my eyes or it may need larger prints before the prints developed b&w chemicals really "lag" behind in terms quality

My problem is that I just don't know

Mike
Yeah I get that, valid point! Like I said before, I can only point to those articles so you can decide for yourself if it's valid or not, as I've never used XP2 myself.
And indeed, what's sub-par for them, might be perfectly acceptable for you or me.
I guess you'll only know if you try it yourself!
Old 20th March 2021, 09:54 AM
Friend

I have made prints from XP2s and in my article (link in earlier post) I do state that the grain is so fine, can be difficult to get it pin sharp in the focus finder. There is a link in the original article that go's to another post that shows some of the prints made from the film.

There are other links in it to Ilfords post, and a couple of other blogs that deal with some of the issues if you are interested.

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies