Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome Film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 10th April 2021, 06:22 PM
Friend

Default First Fomapan film

The Fomapan 100 I was given a few weeks ago is actually 200. I have used the first cassette today and developed it in ID11 at 1 to 1. The Massive Development Chart suggested 8-9 mins, so I gave it 8.5 and the negatives look quite good with a lot of quite fine detail, but they are a lot softer than I would have expected, considering the lighting was quite harsh.

Not having used this film before, would you consider that to be 'normal' whatever normal is? They are certainly softer and lest contrasty than I would have expected from say FP4.

I cannot print them today, but I thought I would ask beforehand.

Last edited by John King; 10th April 2021 at 06:25 PM.
Old 10th April 2021, 06:35 PM
Friend

I can’t remember why but I stopped using the 200 one but I think I found the results bland. I’ve stopped using foma pan in 35mm now but sometimes use it in 120.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10th April 2021, 06:41 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by John King View Post
The Fomapan 100 I was given a few weeks ago is actually 200. I have used the first cassette today and developed it in ID11 at 1 to 1. The Massive Development Chart suggested 8-9 mins, so I gave it 8.5 and the negatives look quite good with a lot of quite fine detail, but they are a lot softer than I would have expected, considering the lighting was quite harsh.

Not having used this film before, would you consider that to be 'normal' whatever normal is? They are certainly softer and lest contrasty than I would have expected from say FP4.

I cannot print them today, but I thought I would ask beforehand.
If you used it at box speed then yes, it would be a little softer, for instance I use fomapan 400 at 250 these days as I was finding the negatives a little soft, develop the 400 as normal,( 1d11 stock for 8 minutes) gives me great sharp negatives with plenty of detail, but nice contrast, maybe try the 200 at 125 and develop for 200, should give you better contrast with great detail, Fomapan struggles to reach box
speed, only other way to get to box is to develop in Microphen, , but I find that reducing box speed a little and developing normally gives me lovely negatives with plenty of detail
Richard
Old 10th April 2021, 07:53 PM
Friend

Default Not my fault then

So it seems my development was pretty spot on using the box speed. I have another 3 cassettes so the next one I will try at 125

I will print some of these tomorrow on MG5 and see how I get on.

Thank you for that info.
Old 11th April 2021, 08:41 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by John King View Post
So it seems my development was pretty spot on using the box speed. I have another 3 cassettes so the next one I will try at 125

I will print some of these tomorrow on MG5 and see how I get on.

Thank you for that info.
I would have developed the film at box speed for 10 or 11 minutes in id11 stock, over the years I have always found that Fomapan always needs that bit extra to get great negatives, for the 400 the suggested time from Foma themselves, on the film box, inside, they say 7 to 8 minutes in id11 box, but I need 10 to get good results, but for 400 at 250 8 minutes seems perfect I did rub some basic tests just out of curiosity and found that it is better at 250, in ID11 stock,
Richard
Old 11th April 2021, 09:29 AM
Friend

Default Fomapan200

I did a few quick scans last night and the contrast was ok - obviously the software doing it's job although the histogram had an 'interesting' curve!

I will be printing a few tonight, the proof of the pudding etc!
Old 11th April 2021, 10:19 AM
Friend

They should print well, maybe 1/2 to 1 grade extra but I would expect some good prints, I aim for a grade 2 to 3 max, and reducing iso gives me that,
Richard
Old 11th April 2021, 09:58 PM
Friend

I made just 3 x A4 prints from that Fomopan film on Ilford MG5 and found that it was as Richard said, grade 3 max and that is what they all printed at. The printing was very easy with no burning in or dodging required and the contrast was I think enough but subtle. No filter was used but the rendering of the skin in image 3 is spot on. The actual prints a very sharp but the one with the bulrushes looks 'indifferent' but it isn't

I think my next cassette will be at split half way at 125 iso and 160 iso to see which I prefer.

As a matter of interest these images are all connected with the coal industry. The bull rushes are in a large pond in a field that was an open cast mine 50 years ago. With the land settlement and the rain we get here it is now a nature reserve.

The broken windows are in an engine house used to haul full coal wagons up a steep incline (1 in 24). It is a Gd 2 listed building on what was the Bowes Railway. The local bratlets have made a mess of this window but could not gain entry because of the steel shutters.

The Winding engine is part of the infrastructure and machinery used to wind the cable in as the wagons were hauled uphill (as much as 120 tons of coal at a time)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bulrushes001.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	239.4 KB
ID:	4142   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vandalism001.jpg
Views:	413
Size:	262.6 KB
ID:	4143   Click image for larger version

Name:	Winding Engine001.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	284.9 KB
ID:	4144  
Old 12th April 2021, 01:40 PM
Friend

Thank you for posting your photographs, the winding engine house looks interesting does it still have its engine? We have a beauty here
https://www.wondersofthepeak.org.uk/...-engine-house/
Old 12th April 2021, 04:54 PM
Friend

Default Winding Engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodOldNorm View Post
Thank you for posting your photographs, the winding engine house looks interesting does it still have its engine? We have a beauty here
https://www.wondersofthepeak.org.uk/...-engine-house/
No there is virtually nothing inside. Before the current caretakers took over the Bowes Railway Museum, it had been left to, well, rot! The local ne'er do wells broke in and stole the winding motor for the scrap value of the copper. The horizontal steam engine was removed around 1950 and replaced with a 300hp 2350V DC motor.

I volunteer for the museum and take people to another winding engine about 3/4 of a mile east which is intact and complete complete with two winding drums, cable and everything is in good order. There are plans (money providing) to get it working again for demonstrations. There is a problem that has to be addressed in that we have two level crossings which carry more traffic now than in 1974 when it was closed for wagon haulage.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies