Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome printing techniques

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 14th June 2021, 12:53 PM
Friend

Next try: Develop an unexposed sheet. For safety, switch of the safelight.

With that result you may send it back for rplacement.
Old 14th June 2021, 01:18 PM
Friend

Art 300, like most fibre papers, is more susceptible to staining and processing problems than RC papers.
I did have experience of stained borders on FB papers at one time. It seemed to be at least in part to do with proper 'stopping' of the developer before fixing. I started to use a stop bath between dev and fix which helped. I also use tongs for FB paper as it seems just handling it can cause problems- for example, holding a print up by one corner to let the dev drain off. I've had that cause staining.

Also, as said, use fresh fix. It's cheaper than a fine paper like Art300 so use fresh fix fix each session.

Next, is it damage to the paper itself or a processing fault? Since you seem only to be seeing discolouration/fogging around the borders then I'd cut a sheet in half and fix without exposing. That means one edge of the paper is actually the middle of the sheet. If you then have staining/fogging down one side, but NOT along the cut edge the problem is in the paper itself. Either manufacturing or storage before it came to you.
If by some weird chance you have problems around the margin of the entire (including the cut edge which is the middle of the sheet) it suggests a problem in your chemistry or paper handling.
Best of luck.
Old 15th June 2021, 09:29 AM
Friend

Thanks for all the responses and suggestions

@Bob, I have only had the paper a few days and don't use sodium sulfide toners due to the pong! (typically I split tone with selenium/thiourea) so this shouldn't be the issue.

@skellum, I think my stop bath is suspect, its the only chem that wasn't fresh. Later today I'll be refreshing that and printing again. It is an indicator type so changes colour when exhausted, but I still think it could be the cause.

Only once I've established beyond doubt its a fault with the paper I'll get in touch with Ag.
Old 15th June 2021, 03:44 PM
Friend

Well it turned out to be my stop bath. Perhaps my developer / fixer / paper combo is particular susceptible to this, not sure. But it is still a mystery or maybe just coincidence that the last sheets of the previous box printed cleanly.

I'm processing in vertical slots which frankly I think there are more downsides to than advantages, but that another discussion. Cleaning up and moving to trays is giving me clean borders.

Thanks again for all the responses.
Old 15th June 2021, 05:18 PM
Friend

Glad you've solved the problem but I do wonder how stop bath can be the problem unless it has added something to the sheet that fixer cannot "fix"

My rationale on this is that I think it should be possible to go straight from developer to fix. OK not a good idea in that the fix would then need to be changed much more quickly and this would be wasteful. All I can think is that the stop bath was exhausted to such an extent that it was seriously contaminated with carry-over developer and your fix was not in a good enough condition to overcome and destroy the developer

I'd be interested in the thoughts of others on this. At least it will increase my knowledge of darkroom matter

Mike
Old 15th June 2021, 05:58 PM
Friend

Strangely enough, I've found a good clean and fresh, new chem's generally solves most of these issues.

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 15th June 2021, 08:42 PM
Friend

Faraz does also say he's moved from slot processor to trays.
Could any slot processor users comment on how likely contamination of the processor itself is?
Never used one myself.
Old 15th June 2021, 09:19 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by skellum View Post
Faraz does also say he's moved from slot processor to trays.
Could any slot processor users comment on how likely contamination of the processor itself is?
Never used one myself.
Not something I have noticed and slots are all I have ever used. They are only trays on their sides so I can't see anything that intrinsically makes slots more prone to what Faraz saw

Yes they do need a complete clean every so often but even if the bottom of the slots have deposits of developer in the stop slot or developer in the fix slot then if replenishment is done correctly the old stuff is being replenished at a regular rate

As I said if the stop is shot and has excess developer then all I can think is that enough of it gets carried over into the fix that on a normal replenishment rate is not being changed as much as it needs to given that the developer is being drawn into the fix. The situation will be made worse if it is a 3 slot processor where there is only one fix slot

Mike
Old 15th June 2021, 09:49 PM
Administrator

Not really seeing how contaminated or exhausted stop could cause such staining - tho I do take Marty's point about how often fresh chems can cure a multitude of processing evils!

Ah well, if it has gone, and stays gone, all's well that ends well!

Last edited by Bob; 16th June 2021 at 10:31 PM. Reason: Confused myself...
Old 15th June 2021, 10:48 PM
Friend

I use a Nova, the old "Chrome" model which has running water stop in the second slot. During a water crisis (Australia) I tended to not run much water through it, in order to reduce waste. Although I used fresh chems and two bath fixing I got stains.

I now use acid stop and the problem has gone away.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies