Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome Film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 21st September 2021, 08:54 PM
Friend

That's giveaway prices Svend. You get distilled and ours is only deionised.

Just looked at Halfords, a UK car accessory shop. £3.90p for five litres.

The filters are sold in packs of three, and an individual filter costs £5.34p each. That's not shopping around for the best price, just the local supermarket.

The Brita leaflet says it will process 100 litres of hard water before needing to be changed.

So with my sums it is 5.34p per litre = 26.7p per 5 litres.
Call it 27pence per 5 litres.

And it only takes 3 1/2 mins with a new filter to process 1 litre.

That is very economical to my mind.

Cheers all.
Old 21st September 2021, 09:07 PM
Friend

Nat - that is very economical. Well worth doing then. Not sure if this holds for the UK, but we buy our filters at the big box hardware store Home Depot -- they're a third party brand for about half price of name brand. Seem to work just as well.

Terry - qualitatively you can tell by taste when the filters are getting near the end of life. The water starts to taste musty, swampy. This is actually not healthy as it means the charcoal and other sorbents in there are saturated and have become a breeding media for microorganisms -- exactly the converse of their intended use. Time to change ASAP once you sense that taste. Presumably the filter will no longer absorb CaCO3 either, so no good for film use anymore. That's why we use one of those LED indicator jugs that measure how much water is put through. Once it goes red we swap the filter.
Old 21st September 2021, 10:34 PM
Friend

Thanks Terry and Nat for the info. Yes I thought that with distilled or de-ionised water costing what it does in the U.K. that Brita might be cheaper but from these figures it is a no-brainer as they say

It certainly sounds cheaper than it once did way back in what I think was probably the late 80s or early 90s

Mike
Old 22nd September 2021, 11:29 AM
Administrator

Looks like Tesco has deionised at £2.00 - £2.30 per 5 litres, or Amazon wil do you 25l for £17, or ebay for around £15, but yeah, still a lot more expensive in Europe - possibly down to energy costs - I dunno.

Last edited by Bob; 22nd September 2021 at 11:34 AM.
Old 22nd September 2021, 12:11 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svend View Post
Terry - qualitatively you can tell by taste when the filters are getting near the end of life. The water starts to taste musty, swampy. This is actually not healthy as it means the charcoal and other sorbents in there are saturated and have become a breeding media for microorganisms -- exactly the converse of their intended use. Time to change ASAP once you sense that taste.
A good point Svend and I'm happy to report that I've never had a taste in the water that I filter, as I obviously dispose of the cartridges long before the taste changes. Also, the majority of my filtered water goes in the kettle to make hot drinks, so I'm presuming any nasties are killed off with the boiling of the water.

It's probably impossible, but wouldn't it be great if the water suddenly changed colour as it was filtered, (without affecting the actual water in anyway that makes it harmful of course) in the way that the indicator in stop bath does?

Terry S
Old 26th September 2021, 11:50 PM
Friend

Quick update: picked up two 19L jugs of distilled water today, plus a hand pump. It was so reasonably priced that it really wasn't worth it to get a Brita. It should last ages...or all winter at least (we have very long winters up here )

Thanks everyone for the advice. All sorted now.

Best,
Svend
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies