Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome Film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 28th September 2021, 09:19 PM
Friend

Default Shocking price of Kodak film

https://analoguewonderland.co.uk/col...b-w-film-30-5m
Ilford Hp5+ 30.5 bulk roll £79:00 at Morco what the hell is going on with Kodak?
Old 28th September 2021, 09:54 PM
Friend

It's about marketing. Tri-X seems to have become popular with trendy young photographers, possibly based on its old reputation even though it is a different film today.
HP5+ is more than good enough for me.
Old 28th September 2021, 10:32 PM
Friend

Default Kodak

The price of Kodak B&W film has been outrageous for a number of years now.

Buying in bulk used to be the cheapest way to buy film. However with Kodak, the last time I looked, their 30m bulk film for Tri X was more expensive than buying the equivalent number of pre loaded 36 exp cassettes. Now go and work that one out - if you can!
Old 28th September 2021, 11:06 PM
Friend

John It must be Northerners and Scotsman who watch prices.

Norm, it surprises me that the inexorable and adverse divergence between Kodak and Ilford prices has come as a shock.

I made a real nuisance of myself on Photrio asking for reasons why the bulk roll price of Kodak exceeded the cassette price on a proportional basis when this wasn't true of the likes of Ilford or Foma

I never felt I got satisfactory answers but yes even these days all but the diehard "Kodakers" are mentioning the disparity on a cassette for cassette basis

Mike
Old 29th September 2021, 07:36 AM
Friend

Mike it isn't just Northerners or Scotsmen that watch the prices. This topic is always cropping up on the Photrio site. There is a large disparity between Kodak Prices and those of Ilford which apart from possible profiteering what is the reason?

Last edited by John King; 29th September 2021 at 08:04 AM.
Old 29th September 2021, 08:13 AM
Friend

To reinforce what I said earlier the price of 30m of TriX is (From Morco) £155 the same for HP5 is £79. I had to use them because non of the 'usual suspects AG etc seem to carry the 30m rolls of Tri X.

A 36 exp cassette in Ilford is £6.99 for Kodak make that £9.99
Old 29th September 2021, 08:30 AM
Friend

I have seen quite a few American photographers on Youtube that only seem to use Ilford and other European films, chemicals, and papers in their videos.
I wonder if Kodak is comparatively expensive compared to European products, even in it's homeland?

Cheers.
Old 29th September 2021, 08:44 AM
Friend

Fuji and Kodak films have just become too expensive for me, I now only buy Ilford and Foma. I have a stock of colour slide and print film when thats gone i will not be buying any more colour films.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies