Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome Film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 1st November 2021, 07:10 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostlabours View Post
I never removed the tape from 120 or 35mm film. Once when I tried it with 120 I notice just visible static so never bothered trying again. Been processing 120 for over 50 years . . . . . . . . and just rear the tape where it joinds the backing paper.

Ian
Yup. Year ago I saw a weird green flash of static as I peeled the tape of the film. Ever since just ripped it off the the backing paper.
Old 1st November 2021, 07:10 PM
Friend

I have only been home processing since about 2005 and have nearly always torn the backing tape from the backing paper and like a few others here simply attached the loose end to the film

I have never noticed any problems to the film from whatever the tape is made of. It's only masking tape really, isn't it so given that it's easily detached from the paper I do wonder if there is anything in the adhesive that can contaminate the developer anyway

Mike
Old 2nd November 2021, 10:41 AM
Friend

I tear the backing paper away from the film keeping the film steady in the other hand. If the paper hasn't torn in two I fold it over the end of the film, snip a bit off the corners and feed the taped end into the clip in the centre of the spiral, I use stainless steel spirals. When hanging up to dry I attach the weighted bottom clip to the taped end and when dry cut off without touching as the tape retains moisture.
I use a changing bag so have a small pair of round nosed scissors to aviod piercing the fabric.
Old 2nd November 2021, 12:33 PM
Friend

Sounds like I may have been lucky over the years, as I've always left the tape on the film being put into the reel and then dev tank.

Terry S
Old 2nd November 2021, 12:56 PM
Friend

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
Sounds like I may have been lucky over the years, as I've always left the tape on the film being put into the reel and then dev tank.

Terry S
I fear you'd only know if you have been lucky if at least a hundred or more of us had replied. Much short of those kind of numbers tend to indicate nothing that reaches statistical significance

I love what I see often on another forum where no matter how many say they have never had problem X in response to a query and that for reasons unknown the person had maybe done something or had experienced another hidden cause for the problem X and so his was almost certainly a one-off, there is always one who responds that he has experienced exactly the same problem to the letter and that convinces the originator that the other 100 must be wrong.

Mike
Old 3rd November 2021, 08:35 AM
Friend

I have never removed the tape from the film end and I only ever saw issues back in the early 1960's when the tape tended to go a bit soft and wrinkly (a bit like me now ) but at some point technology advanced and the tape/adhesive has improved to what we have now. I think that would have been about the mid to late 1970's.
Old 7th November 2021, 10:18 PM
Administrator

I tend to leave it on and hang the film so the tape is at the bottom after washing... Ilford tape is pretty well stuck on and I am worried about damaging the film if I get ham-fisted in the dark trying to remove it.

Quite like the idea of trimming it off that some have suggested - I never thought of that!
Old 8th November 2021, 12:40 PM
Friend

To respond to this thread, I have had, for the first time since 2012, to input my user name and password. Is this new?

I have processed many thousands of rolls of Ektachrome E1/E2/E3/E4 - Kodak tape is slightly narrower than the backing paper and I always removed it in its entirety - no problems. Static sparks were visible towards the end of one batch of ten or twenty hangers (by which time the eyes are dark-adapted) but it never showed up on the film.

The respondent whose tape floated off was very unfortunate - perhaps using east-bloc film such as Orwo.

By the way, our 'elf and safety lady forbade scissors in the darkrooms. I think she must have read somewhere of the risk - she had no darkroom experience.
Old 11th November 2021, 04:43 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOReynolds View Post
To respond to this thread, I have had, for the first time since 2012, to input my user name and password. Is this new?<snip>
Nothing changed at the forum end as far as I know - possibly the cookie that tells the forum to keep you logged in got deleted or corrupted in your browser. As long as the "Remember me" tick-box is checked, it should log you in automatically every time.

Cheers, Bob.
Old 13th November 2021, 02:33 AM
Friend

I cut the film, as close to the tape as possible. Never took the tape out.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies