Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome Film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 13th November 2021, 05:47 PM
Friend

Default Tape. Fixing, for the use of.

I have always left the tape on but clip the corners about 1/4" in. 120 film is thinner than 35mm and the tape being more or less bonded to the film, it makes a good support to to the leading edge of the film and makes it much easier to load onto the spiral without the film kinking as you do.
Old 17th November 2021, 09:46 AM
Friend

I carefully pull the tape off; at one time I tended to leave it on but suffered some kind of tape related problem on one or two occasions.
Old 2nd December 2021, 11:18 AM
Friend

I have always taken it off ,its something I have always done for no reason , but now I could never develope a roll of film with it left on
Old 2nd December 2021, 01:02 PM
Friend

Interestingly, since this post started and since my previous post, I have changed my habit when it comes to 120 film.

I now carefully cut the film as close as I can to the masking tape, whilst loading the film in the changing bag usually. I then tear off the tape in the light and like some others, I then use this to check developer and fixer usability. It's strange, as I have done this with the 35mm leaders for decades but never thought about also doing it with 120 film...?

Also, I have just found out, that if the tape is left on with the film and put through the whole development to wash process, the strip can still be cut off when the film is hung up to dry and used as above. The tape is obviously thick enough to stop the chemicals getting to the emulsion underneath.

Terry S
Old 2nd December 2021, 01:19 PM
Friend

I always hang the film with the remaining tape at the bottom. There may run out contaminated fluid which I dont want having at the film.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies