Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome Film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 16th November 2021, 09:56 PM
Friend

Default D76 type developers Part 5 Best Dilutions - Pictorial Planet Video

I have just looked at the latest video by John Finch of Pictorial Planet fame.

He compares the same shot on the same film with the same camera and at the same time and same exposure and aperture in order to compare stock v 1+1 v 1+3 using what I found to be the Ilford ID11 times for the film which was FP4+

For those interested in what different dilutions of D76 can do it is worth a look.

I forget who it was here that introduced Pictorial Planet but I certainly have been very impressed with John Finch's videos so thanks to that person

Just as an aside and rather than start a new thread on it, I'll say here that I noticed that Ag-Photographic's link to the Ilford sheet seems to be broken and its link to the Kodak sheet take me to Kodak OK but I was unable to find the Kodak spec sheet on D76

Mike
Old 17th November 2021, 09:07 AM
Friend

John Finch has a very sensible and practical way of getting the best results from his photography. His latest book is well worth reading if you want to get started with making your own developers etc.
Old 17th November 2021, 09:48 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post

Just as an aside and rather than start a new thread on it, I'll say here that I noticed that Ag-Photographic's link to the Ilford sheet seems to be broken and its link to the Kodak sheet take me to Kodak OK but I was unable to find the Kodak spec sheet on D76

Mike
Mike,
here you go: https://imaging.kodakalaris.com/site...ources/j78.pdf

Tom
Old 17th November 2021, 10:01 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Kershaw View Post
Thanks Tom. I really mentioned it for the benefit of other users of Ag-Photographic in case they tried it as well and were as disappointed as I Perhaps the link provided by Ag-Photographic did once take you to Kodak's spec sheets but no longer. There seemed to be no link to KA I could find

A pity that D76 does not cover non Kodak films in the D76 specs as it does with say Xtol

Mike
Old 17th November 2021, 01:17 PM
Friend

Quote:
Thanks Tom. I really mentioned it for the benefit of other users of Ag-Photographic in case they tried it as well and were as disappointed as I Perhaps the link provided by Ag-Photographic did once take you to Kodak's spec sheets but no longer. There seemed to be no link to KA I could find

A pity that D76 does not cover non Kodak films in the D76 specs as it does with say Xtol

Mike
I'm not sure how often Ag-Photographic update their listings, some seem rather out of date.
Old 17th November 2021, 02:12 PM
Friend

Quote:
I have just looked at the latest video by John Finch of Pictorial Planet fame.

He compares the same shot on the same film with the same camera and at the same time and same exposure and aperture in order to compare stock v 1+1 v 1+3 using what I found to be the Ilford ID11 times for the film which was FP4+

For those interested in what different dilutions of D76 can do it is worth a look.

Mike
I have just watched the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uABBAQI-T9s

But like a couple of commentators, I think (on my screen anyway) that ID11 at 1+1 gives the best overall finish and is what I make up from scratch and have been using happily for a while now.

The 1+3, as some mention, appears to be about 1/2f to 1/3f UNDER exposed, giving a darker screen image, hence giving more detail in the highlights and sky area. (Note that most of the pictures used during the video are SCANS and not prints.)

But the end choice of dilution is yours, with mention of it being able to be diluted right down to 1+5, if you want to and can bear the long development times and agitations throughout.

Terry S
Old 17th November 2021, 04:32 PM
Friend

What's missing is that D76/ID-11 gives the best results when replenished and worst when it's fresh stock. It's for the same reasons he mentions at 1+3 dilution the build up of bromide and iodide and you get finer grain, better sharpness and also slightly better shadow details.

When I shared a deep tank line with two other photographers non of us liked the results from a fresh batch util it was seasoned. I have tried it at 1+3 but f. A friend had asked me to develop his negatives at 1+2 and I found this far better giving excellent results, this had been the dilution he'd used when he had darkroom access.

Ian
Old 17th November 2021, 05:07 PM
Friend

About twelve years ago I did a simple test to compare Hp5+ in ID11 at 1+1, and ID11 at 1+3. The 1+3 dilution won hand down. Noticably sharper. Very slight increase in grain that was hardly noticable but when you did see it, it was crisper, and looked better. So I switched to the 1+3 dilution for a while, then tried 1+2. It wasn't a lot different to the 1+3 dilution. Just as sharp. But the tonality seemed better. And the shorter development time was more practical. So I switched to the 1+2 dilution and have been using it ever since. If the light is anything from bright, no sun through to strong sun, dev. time is 14 minutes.
I find FP4 is also very nice in ID11 1+2. I give it 12 minutes in the above range of lighting conditions. But I really prefer FP4 in Perceptol 1+3. Magical!

I have to say I enjoyed the video. At least he wasn't wearing a baseball cap and waving a mug of coffee around. And talking to his audience as though they were a bunch of retarded four year olds with hearing difficulties....

Alan
Old 17th November 2021, 05:16 PM
Friend

Some interesting points there from both Ian and Alan, so many thanks for that.

I have been using 1+1 home mixed ID11 for a while now and like the results, although I think I need to knock a tiny bit of time off the ones Ilford give, for although the negs are lovely to print, the highlights do block up a bit at times. Do either of you think it to be worth my while going across to 1+2, or should I stay where I am?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Clark View Post
I have to say I enjoyed the video. At least he wasn't wearing a baseball cap and waving a mug of coffee around. And talking to his audience as though they were a bunch of retarded four year olds with hearing difficulties....

Alan
I can't think who you must mean there Alan...

He's not my cup of tea either, but he's obviously popular with some. Even Ilford have sent him stuff to try out and promote at the same time, so he's obviously doing something right in their eyes.

Terry S
Old 17th November 2021, 05:50 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Clark View Post
About twelve years ago I did a simple test to compare Hp5+ in ID11 at 1+1, and ID11 at 1+3. The 1+3 dilution won hand down. Noticably sharper. Very slight increase in grain that was hardly noticable but when you did see it, it was crisper, and looked better. So I switched to the 1+3 dilution for a while, then tried 1+2. It wasn't a lot different to the 1+3 dilution. Just as sharp. But the tonality seemed better. And the shorter development time was more practical. So I switched to the 1+2 dilution and have been using it ever since. If the light is anything from bright, no sun through to strong sun, dev. time is 14 minutes.
I find FP4 is also very nice in ID11 1+2. I give it 12 minutes in the above range of lighting conditions. But I really prefer FP4 in Perceptol 1+3. Magical!

Alan
Oh dear, Alan, so you've been watching a lot of YouTube photography as well and have noticed the same as I. Now if only they'd wear the baseball caps backwards they could add a bit of real gravitas to their videos

OK humorous rant over. Yes it would seem from at least 2 posts that 1+2 might well the "happy medium" and worth a try

Mike
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies