Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 1st January 2022, 02:41 PM
Friend

Default DIY print-drying screens

I've seen on several forums that drying FB prints is a source of frustration for many people, but I have been perfectly happy with my system, which I think I originally got from Ansel Adams' books. I use fibreglass mesh screens stretched over wooden frames as used for artists' canvases. Washed prints lie face-up on the screens until the gelatin is touch-dry, then face-down until the back is touch-dry. That all takes about 24 hours in my darkroom. Then the stack of up to 6 prints goes under a heavy sheet of glass for several days until flat. The screens are a hangover from a previous makeshift bathroom darkroom, and rather on the large side, so when in use they have to occupy bench space in my current darkroom and that prevents further printing.

I need to replace these old screens, and in the process tidy them away underneath the darkroom benches in a nice airy stack arrangement. I don't want to use wood again for the frames, because it is bulky and not easily washed. The ideal alternative would probably be the rigid aluminium framing used for flyscreens in Canada and the USA, which has channels into which the screen material can be wedged, and handy plastic corner pieces to make a rigid rectangular frame. This system seems to be totally unavailable in the UK and Europe: here flyscreens are simply fixed over window frames with Velcro/hook-and-loop.

Has anyone else in the UK or elsewhere in Europe successfully solved this problem, please?

http://www.allmyeye.co.uk
Old 1st January 2022, 04:26 PM
Friend

When I last looked, which is a while ago, you could get screen printing frames made from aluminium and wood, and thought them quite reasonably priced. I never thought about their second use before, but it might be worth checking out.

Terry S
Old 2nd January 2022, 10:50 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
When I last looked, which is a while ago, you could get screen printing frames made from aluminium and wood, and thought them quite reasonably priced. I never thought about their second use before, but it might be worth checking out.

Terry S
Terry, that is genius, many thanks! Only enough, I was talking about screen printing with my daughter yesterday, but my brain didn't make the connection. It's a pity the method of fixing the mesh is so crude (glue), but at that sort of price there's no competition. I think I shall go for aluminium frames and try to contrive a neat fastening system for the mesh.

Old 2nd January 2022, 06:41 PM
Friend

I have been using a couple of nylon net dryers (for jumpers) stacked on top of each other for 16 years now.

They are still as good as new and have been perfect for drying my FB prints.

Cheap as well !

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 4th January 2022, 02:50 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&W Neil View Post
I have been using a couple of nylon net dryers (for jumpers) stacked on top of each other for 16 years now.

They are still as good as new and have been perfect for drying my FB prints.

Cheap as well !

Neil.
So frustrating! Those really would be perfect if only they were the right size to fit under (or even on) my standard 60cm work surfaces - but it seems that they are all 70cm square.

However, I see the pipes and connectors are widely available, so I think I might be heading down the route of making my own to fit the space.

Many thanks for the tip.

Last edited by snusmumriken; 4th January 2022 at 02:57 PM.
Old 5th January 2022, 10:03 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by snusmumriken View Post
So frustrating! Those really would be perfect if only they were the right size to fit under (or even on) my standard 60cm work surfaces - but it seems that they are all 70cm square.

However, I see the pipes and connectors are widely available, so I think I might be heading down the route of making my own to fit the space.

Many thanks for the tip.

The frame tubes are made from plastic that slots into each other ( tent pole fashion) so it would be easy adjust the frames. The mesh screens are easy to cut and adapt also. I was lucky with mine because they fit under my bench when not in use.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 5th January 2022, 12:19 PM
Friend

I used to dry FB by pegging pairs of prints back-to-back on a line over the bath.
Once dry they'd go between a couple of big books, under a pile of steel plates left over from the days when I lifted weight (long since gone) for at least a week. They'd come out pretty flat, but I always found they were prone to curling a bit if they suffered a change in humidity.
Now I print with a wider border and tape them to a window with gummed paper tape. They dry perfectly flat and stay flat. I think watercolourists do something similar to pre-stretch and condition their paper so it doesn't wrinkle when wetted.

Also:
http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.or...read.php?t=315
Old 5th January 2022, 03:45 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&W Neil View Post
The frame tubes are made from plastic that slots into each other ( tent pole fashion) so it would be easy adjust the frames. The mesh screens are easy to cut and adapt also. I was lucky with mine because they fit under my bench when not in use.

Neil.
I have been considering that, as the connectors bought separately are surprisingly expensive even direct from China. I guess I would have to do some sewing if I made my own anyway. My other option currently is aluminium silk screen frames with the mesh glued on around the edges, but that works out at least twice the price.

Do you find that you need to introduce a slope with these racks, to help excess water drain off?

Old 5th January 2022, 03:58 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by skellum View Post
I used to dry FB by pegging pairs of prints back-to-back on a line over the bath.
Once dry they'd go between a couple of big books, under a pile of steel plates left over from the days when I lifted weight (long since gone) for at least a week. They'd come out pretty flat, but I always found they were prone to curling a bit if they suffered a change in humidity.
Now I print with a wider border and tape them to a window with gummed paper tape. They dry perfectly flat and stay flat. I think watercolourists do something similar to pre-stretch and condition their paper so it doesn't wrinkle when wetted.

Also:
http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.or...read.php?t=315
Thanks, Skellum. I did try this at one stage, but space is a major issue given that I make up to 10 prints in a session. So I hold my prints flat under a heavy glass sheet until I have a worthwhile batch, then review and cull, and dry-mount the survivors in a heated press. They don't curl again after that!

It always surprises me how much moisture is driven out of an apparently dry print.

Old 5th January 2022, 06:27 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by snusmumriken View Post
I have been considering that, as the connectors bought separately are surprisingly expensive even direct from China. I guess I would have to do some sewing if I made my own anyway. My other option currently is aluminium silk screen frames with the mesh glued on around the edges, but that works out at least twice the price.

Do you find that you need to introduce a slope with these racks, to help excess water drain off?

No on that one - but I do make sure most of the water is wiped off my prints before they are placed on the screens. Surplus water is easily removed with a clean squeegee or similar. But if you felt you needed an incline on the surface of the screens it would be easy to do by just shortening the two front legs.

When I purchased my screens 16 years ago I bought four sets. I used two ( 4 screen surfaces) and I kept the other two as replacements for when the first two wore out. But they have been so successful the spares remain unused.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies