Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 17th December 2009, 01:57 PM
Friend

Default Can I file my negative carrier?

I am using a Durst 605 with the glass less carriers.
Basically I want to see the edge of the film ( black lines ) on my print.
I was thinking of filing the hole so that the film edge becomes visible as currently it is not.
Does anyone have any ideas?
Old 17th December 2009, 02:04 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonC View Post
I am using a Durst 605 with the glass less carriers.
Basically I want to see the edge of the film ( black lines ) on my print.
I was thinking of filing the hole so that the film edge becomes visible as currently it is not.
Does anyone have any ideas?
Make replacements out of card or plastic.. use a scalple to cut with a steel rule. Yes of course you can file your existing, but when it is done, you can't go back...

Andy
Old 17th December 2009, 02:04 PM
Friend

I have done this with other glassless neg carriers and all I say it is tricky, but can be done if you have the files and the confidence. It is best though to obtain another neg carrier to work on if you don't want to risk messing the original up. Once you have widened out the sides to the desired amount spend a lot of time dressing them down with a fine finish paper to achieve a sliky smooth finish that won't scratch your negs. Then finish off the bare metal edges with a matt black paint.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 17th December 2009, 02:09 PM
Friend

Sorry, just thought on..
On my Durst M707 the holes in either side are a slightly different size, If I use th anti newton glass from a 6x6 carrier and the larger hole from 35mm I get the same effect..
Check to see if yours are different sizes, if they are see if the larger whole gives you wht you need. if so you only need to make 1 side of card and not that critical in size...

Andy
Old 17th December 2009, 04:04 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyreynolds View Post
Sorry, just thought on..
On my Durst M707 the holes in either side are a slightly different size, If I use th anti newton glass from a 6x6 carrier and the larger hole from 35mm I get the same effect..
Check to see if yours are different sizes, if they are see if the larger whole gives you wht you need. if so you only need to make 1 side of card and not that critical in size...

Andy
That's what I used to do, mix a glass with the larger half of the metal mask, when I want this effect. Now I just use a 5x4 glazed carrier of all negative sizes.
Old 17th December 2009, 04:31 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyreynolds View Post
Sorry, just thought on..

Andy
Sorry, I forgot to mention that I am printing primarily 6x6, but yes.. one hole is bigger than the other, thus the two funny names for top and bottom.. Maybe I will try the larger hole approach first.I do have some AN glass inserts, but I couldn't clean them well enough to use, but if I put the glass on top of the neg, it may not be as critical?
thanks
Old 17th December 2009, 04:47 PM
Friend

It's may be stating the obvious, but being glass, unless they are scratched, you could soak them in whatever it takes to get them clean.
Old 19th December 2009, 02:37 AM
Friend

Yeah, have cleaned and scrubbed etc etc
There seems some fungus/fogging/markings which refuse to come out.
They have been stored for 20 odd years in a damp/humid area.
I might resort to a stronger solvent of sorts as a last attempt.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies