Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 3rd May 2011, 11:52 AM
Friend

Default Storage of enlarger lenses

How do people store their enlarger lenses if you have more than the one? I've now found I have 4 and would like something a bit better than the plastic boxes they come in. I don;t want to store them on lensboards as I only have the 2. Can you get m39 rings from anywhere that I could make up a box for them to all screw into (bag of silica gel in the bottom to keep them nice and dry)?

any suggestions or am I just being a tart about lens storage?
Old 3rd May 2011, 12:49 PM
Friend

Nothing special for me; I just keep them in their original perspex containers on a small shelf by my enlargers. This means I have to attach them to the enlarger each time I use them and although I swap about a bit with formats I have never found this to be a chore.

Neil.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 3rd May 2011, 01:53 PM
Friend

Same for me as for Neil, I just store my lenses in the plastic storage containers that they came in, on a shelf next to my enlarger,
Richard
Old 3rd May 2011, 02:39 PM
Friend

My enlarger has to be mobile as I cannot keep it in the darkroom at work, I have to keep it in my office. So I'm trying to get everything together and will be putting wheels on the back of the enlarger so I can wheel it sack barrow style into the darkroom and when upright it will be on its solid feet. So I'm trying to minimise the amount of seperate boxes and bits I have.

I don't have boxes for all my lenses either (they came from a darkroom closing where most were just sat on a shelf next to the enlarger)

If I could get a cheap m39 threaded ring I would fins a suitable box to screw them into a keep them in.
Old 3rd May 2011, 03:23 PM
Friend

I have both my main lenses mounted on boards, and these sit next to the enlarger with dust caps on both ends. Must admit, I've never considered storing them in an air-tight(ish) box, but if I did, I'd get some fairly stiff foam and cut holes in it for the lenses to sit in.
Old 3rd May 2011, 05:10 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puggie View Post
How do people store their enlarger lenses if you have more than the one? I've now found I have 4 and would like something a bit better than the plastic boxes they come in. I don;t want to store them on lensboards as I only have the 2. Can you get m39 rings from anywhere that I could make up a box for them to all screw into (bag of silica gel in the bottom to keep them nice and dry)?

any suggestions or am I just being a tart about lens storage?
You are just being a tart about lens storage.
Old 3rd May 2011, 05:36 PM
Friend

If I have the original storage cases I use them, otherwise soft microfibre cloths as a lens wrap.
Old 3rd May 2011, 06:42 PM
Friend

I like your idea Puggie.
How about putting a false bottom in your box with holes drilled in it. one for each lens to keep them seperate and then some foam in the lid that will hold them firmly in place when shut.

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 3rd May 2011, 08:13 PM
Friend

I could probably knock up some M39 threaded ring in aluminium if you desperately felt the urge for something , just give me an idea of what you need

Paul
Old 3rd May 2011, 08:29 PM
Friend

Mine are all fitted to 504 lens panels with lens caps. They happily sit in a drawer under the enlarger for years without disturbance.
http://dsallen.carpentier-galerie.de
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies