Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - small format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 19th January 2012, 10:10 PM
Friend

Default Bessa R2 A, focusing issue

Disappointed with sharpness recently I decided to test my camera with the two lenses I use : a Summarit 2.5 75mm and a Summicron 2 50mm : when measuring through the finder an object more than 100m away the distance ring on both lenses is a mm short of the infinity mark. I shot some frames using a tripod and enlarged 14X: the result is clear - set at the infinity mark it's sharp, but using the rangefinder not sharp, even stopped down to f 5.6. I imagine this means the Bessa needs being adjusted (it's only two years old).
Do you think my conclusion is correct, has anybody had a similar problem, does anybody know a repairshop that could handle it?
Peter
Old 31st October 2012, 04:22 PM
Friend

I do not own a Bessa, but a colleague who does reckons that just a moderate "knock" to the camera can cause the rangefinder to go out of allignment. I would imagine that any experienced repair person should be able to correct it, if this is the case.
Old 6th April 2013, 06:50 AM
Friend

So, I am very late in my reply, and I apologize. You, no doubt, have your answer, but, in the event someone else visits this post, let me say this: a rangefinder being out of alignment is as common as, well, the common cold. Any good knock or hard bump can cause this, even in the most expensive Leica. All. Rangefinder cameras need to have their rangefinders recalibrated from time to time, and the R2A is no exception. Don't despair, there are two simple solutions. Send the offending body to a reputable repair facility, Camera quest in your case, or go to the famous google and type key word calibrate rangefinder and follow the many links that lead you to your self help solution. It is not nearly as difficult as it seems and with simple tools and an understanding of basic English you will be in Rangefinder Nirvana. Very best of luck!

“For me, the camera is a sketch book, an instrument of intuition and spontaneity.”
― Henri Cartier-Bresson
Old 27th September 2014, 10:13 AM
Friend

Bessas are easy to do...google it and find a youtube video thats what I did..goodluck
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies