Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 5th March 2012, 10:51 AM
Moderator & Keeper of the Calendar

Default Nova 3 slot 12 x 16 print processor (Tri-mate?)

I was given one of these at the last PPC Rally but of course without any instructions. It needs cleaning up and the short tubes to the taps replacing. I have purchased some 8 mm bore plastic tubing to do this. Because of family illnesses I have had no time to do anything more with it but hopefully this is soon to change.

I have gleaned from reading the site that they hold 2 litres of chemicals per slot but I still have a lot of questions so would appreciate any help.

1. What is the best way to clean out the slots? Can you use household bleach? Do you have to buy the Nova Tar Buster?

2. I think it was used for RA4 processing and I want to do monochrome. Providing I clean out the slots as above do you think there will be any problems with carry over?

3. How do you agitate? Is it just by lifting the print out of the slot and lowering it back in again?

4. I see from this site that for 8 x 10 people recommend 10 ml of replenishment per print. I assume I just pro-rata that for 12 x 16? So that would be 25 ml per print. Do I have to do this after every print?

5. I do not have a permanent darkroom so how easy is it to empty the water jacket when I want to store it away? How much water does the jacket hold? I will be able to leave it set up for a short while, say a week to 10 days, so that the chemicals will not be thrown out every time I use it.

6. When filling do you use a funnel to guide the liquid into the slots to avoid cross contamination?

7. Do you label the slots to ensure that you always use the same slot for the same chemical as I cannot guarantee always having the Nova in the same orientation? (old age and forgetting what I did last time!) ( sorry, forget last time - yesterday! )

Sorry if some of the questions sound stupid but never having used one of these before I want to get it right.

And NO I will not send it to you, I want to use it.

Thanks for any help.

Bill
Old 5th March 2012, 11:04 AM
Friend

1. Household bleach and a bottle brush.
2. No problem.
3. Lift and lower with a circular motion.
4. Just keep the slots topped up. About 15ml for a 12x16, but top up every 5 or 6 prints.
5. Can't remember.
6. Yes.
7. I didn't need to, but you should.
Old 5th March 2012, 11:12 AM

Thanks Dave.

Bill
Old 5th March 2012, 11:30 AM
Friend

hello Bill,
being the owner and frequent user of a Nova print processor (not a Trimate) I can give you some indications as to what I've found working.
1 ordinary bleach should be ok for cleaning. Rinse a LOT afterwards!
2 for B&W you don't need to use the jacket. room temperature between 15 and 25 will do.
3 I don't replenish more than say once a week, sometimes even less often. Just make sure there is always enough developer in the first slot, it tends to be carried over into the second with use.
4 keep a standard set-up. f.ex. the Nova to the left of a sink with the three outlet taps on the right side so you can empty down into the sink. and have developer in the first, stop in the middle and fixer in the third slot. a funnel is almost necessary to avoid pouring stop in the developer! I use two funnels - one excl. for developer.
5 you need a special Nova clip to hold the print in the processor, have you got at least one of them? With it you can slide the print sideways to ensure movement in the developer.
Hope that health is now ok in your family surroundings and that you may find a lot of pleasure with you Nova.
Peter
Old 5th March 2012, 11:40 AM
Friend

Bill as Dave says try bleach in each slot. It is only the RA4 dev and blix that might have stained, especially the Dev slot. Tarbuster is very good but save your money until you know that bleach won't work. If the slot is badly stained then be prepared to let the bleach sit in it for at least 24 and better 48hrs. Make a strong solution

Use a bottle brush to get the tar off the bottom and sides of slots once softened

Apparently the later Novas had valves which allow the water jackets to be emptied. Otherwise it is a matter of gently tipping it up on its feet but don't attempt to pick it up like a basin for emptying. Unless you can move it by shuffling it crab-like on its feet do not attempt to pick it full of water and move it like a parcel.

You won't regret using it. Fantastic in a confined space

Mike
Old 5th March 2012, 11:44 AM
Friend

Bill on Peter's point two and at the risk of treating you as if you are educationally subnormal, just make sure that the heater element cannot be easily and accidentally switched on if there is no water in the jackets. If this were to happen and you were not to notice for several hours such as overnight then the Nova may be seriously damaged.

Mike
Old 5th March 2012, 11:49 AM
Friend

Hi Bill, if you need some clips I have a few spare - let me know by PM.

cheers, Tony

Tony
Old 5th March 2012, 11:57 AM
Friend

I have an instruction book Bill and I will photocopy it and send you a copy. To answer your questions above:-
1) Nova Tar buster is probably the best cleaner to use for a good clean up before you start. If unavailable then Nova say lots of running water and a bottle brush. I only used the Tar buster on mine once and when I do a full chemical change (perhaps once a month) I just fill the slot and emty it a couple of times with a bit of scrub with a bottle brush. I only get a bit of staining at the top and this comes off easily with a scrub from an old tooth brush.
2) Nova say there is no problem from switching between processes, RA4 to black and white, all it needs is a thorough rinsing between processes.
3) Nova say to agitate carry out a gentle cicular motion continiously for the first 30 seconds and then for 5secs every 20 seconds (or can be continious) lifting the print halfway out of the developer and lowering at the end of every 5sec (every 20-30secs). I tend to keep it moving all of the time because there is risk of the pattern on the side of the tank showing on the print if it is left still for some time.
Nova say there is a temptation when doing test strips to use all of the space in the tank when agitating but this should be avoided. Keep the test strip in the sam restricated area as the full print to simulate the full print agitation.
4)Nova recommend 35ml of replenishment for a 16x12. They suggest after every 8 to 10 prints or when you think you need it. You need not replenish but increase the development time to maintain good blacks. In practice you find the developer drops in level carried over by the print and you need to top up to maintain the level. Nova say life expectancy for the chemicals is 3-4 weeks. I have found that they work OK well beyond this time but only use them for proofs or unimportent prints. Some people say you should use fresh chemicals for every session. To help prolong the life I spray some of the Tetenal protection gas along the top of the slot to slow oxidation. I think argon gas or butane gas works Ok as well.
5) emtying the jacket of water is a pain, the only way I have found is to siphon it out with a plastic pipe through the filling hole. There is a lot of water, more than what is in the slots, and it takes a time. You may be able to get a small pump which you can use instead. You should not try to move the tank when it has water in it it is liable to rwist and crack.
6) I fill them from a plastic measuring jug and if I am careful I don't overflow into the next slot. I sometimes get a puddle on the top flange which I wipe off. I guess it is only the developer which is importent to keep un-contaminated. all the others get carry over from the wet print.
7) I alaways keep the same chemicals in the same slots and you can easily mark them if you wish.

Just one other point, its worth putting a drop of bleach or milton in the water jacket stop it going mouldy.

Tony
Old 5th March 2012, 12:59 PM
Friend

Bill,

If you are putting a lot of prints / test strips though don't forget to keep an eye on the fixer. The best way to do this is to draw off a few mls of fix from the fixer slot tap in to a small clear container and test it with a propriety fixer tester. There is no need to get paranoid about this but with some fixers it is surprising how quickly they can go-over when you are busy printing say over a few days with the same fix; especially with FB papers.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 5th March 2012, 01:16 PM

Thanks for all the replies excellent information.

Peter - Unfortunately I don't have a permanent darkroom so don't have a sink I can empty into. I have bought spare tubing so I can empty from the taps into a bucket. I did get 2 clips with it, larger than the others I have seen though.

Mike - My thoughts were to fill each slot in turn with a bleach/water mix and leave for 24 hours in each. Good advice about the heater and something I will watch.

Tony Miller - Great offer, thanks I will PM. Are you at Yorkshire Monochrome this weekend to see Les McLean? My self and BobRob will be there.

Tony Marlow - Thanks a copy of the instructions would be really useful. Good tip about the bleach in the water jacket.

Neil - I bet a lot of people forget about the fixer slot so thanks good idea.

If you want to know anything just ask on FADU!! Great group of people and good advice.

Thanks again

Bill
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies