Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 27th April 2013, 12:50 PM
Friend

Question Condenser or diffuser light-source?

My Durst Modular 70 enlarger has the Durst Vario head which is designed for variable-contrast papers and has Ilford Multigrade filter values. I can use the white light switch when using graded papers.

I was wondering if buying a condenser head with a filter drawer would have any benefits or would be worth the bother?

There are still some printers who reckon that a condenser light-source produces sharper prints than an enlarger with a diffuse light-source. What are your thoughts about this?
Old 27th April 2013, 01:42 PM
Friend

Probably not really worth the trouble. For years I only used a 6x6 fujimoto with condensers. When I jumped to 5x4 I needed a new enlarger- an LPL which came with colour head. First shock was the reduced contrast- all other things being equal the diffusion head is at least a grade softer. In terms of sharpness, though, I don't think it's much different. I tend to keep my negs clean and work (reasonably) tidily, but rumour has it condensers show up dust more.
If you want, let me know and I'll print you a pair of samples- same neg in each enlarger.
Old 27th April 2013, 02:29 PM
Friend

I have an Omega B-22 which originally came with a condenser head. Later, it took a few years worth of saving money, I bought the Chromega color head and that's the only one I use!

To be honest, all I print now is with black & white negatives/paper.

I recommend keeping what you currently have and nix the condenser head unless, of course, you can get it for a low price.

Nothing beats a sharp print made with a sharp negative!

Hope this helps you.
Old 27th April 2013, 05:26 PM
Friend

I migrated the other way some years ago - from a durst with a condenser head and filter drawer, to a durst 670 VC head. I had dust problems all the time! A friend recently gave me an old 35mm unnamed enlarger with condenser, it has a fine nikon 50mm EL. I use it only for flashing paper because it does not produce betteer images. I would recommend that you stay witf your current set up I think you would regret if you change. But you could do like me: old condensers are given away these days, transport being the main problem.
good luck
peter
Old 27th April 2013, 09:11 PM
Friend

I agree with just about everything that's been said above.

Most importantly, process your negs according to the light source!

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 27th April 2013, 09:48 PM
Friend

I must stand up for the old condenser enlarger I love them, they give me the results I want, yes they do show up the dust but you have to be more careful, but its like everything in photography you pays your money and you takes your choice ,,,,but I guess that you will have to try one out now or else you will never know...............

www.essexcockney.com
Old 27th April 2013, 11:34 PM
Friend

All things being equal I'd be inclined to keep the diffuser head. Compared with a continuously variable filter, those little square plastic filters are very annoying. They're inconvenient, expensive, they're easily lost, they can get scratched and manky, and the numbers can rub off (at least the numbers on my Jessops ones did!). That's the main reason I converted my condenser head to LEDs - yay for liberation from filters and negative popping!

Unless you use graded papers more than VC it's probably not worthwhile switching unless the condenser head has a feature that you find particularly attractive, aside from the Callier effect.

Cheers,
kevs

Last edited by kevsNorthants; 27th April 2013 at 11:35 PM. Reason: sig
Old 28th April 2013, 05:46 PM
Friend

I recently switched my De Vere 507 from diffuser (Dichromat Mk11) head back to condenser because all my negs are now developed in pyro developers and I was finding I needed the extra contrast.
As MartyNL has quite rightly said:
Quote:
Most importantly, process your negs according to the light source!
Well, I kind of did the reverse once I'd settled on pyro as my developer of choice!

Sure you do have to be more careful; dust becomes an issue again and I have to admit that fiddling around with large Multigrade filters is a slight pain, but I'm tending to still use graded papers quite often.
There is no doubt that if you want 'crispness' and a different kind of tonality than diffuser offers then condensers can be worth the effort.

As an aside, I also have a point-source head and if you really want to put yourself under duress then I can thoroughly recommend them for ultimate sharpness and contrast...accompanied by stress and headaches

Here is a scan of print made with that:

View it large here to get the full effect of this little-used (for obvious reasons!) light source. Make sure you enlarge it if your browser scales it to fit the window.
The microcontrast and definition that it gives in detailed areas is truly remarkable, but compare how they look with the way it affects even tones like the sky.
Dare I say that it's a bit like over-using the image sharpening tool in digital - sometimes it can just look wrong.
It does have its uses though.
Old 29th April 2013, 03:20 PM
Friend

Thanks folks. I will think it over whether to try a condenser enlarger sometime soon.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies