Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome Film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 28th August 2013, 09:32 PM
Friend

Default ID11 staining storage bottle

I made up a litre of ID11 recently and put it into a clear plastic container for storage. I intend using it as stock, increasing developing times per Ilford recommendation, until exhausted. After the first film, I decanted the solution back into the container. A day or so later, I noticed that it appeared to have changed colour. When I poured it out, however, the liquid is clear, but there is staining on the plastic container. The container itself came from one of our sponsors, and is intended for chemical storage. It is kept in a dark cupboard. Has anyone else experienced this, and is it a problem? Alex.
Old 28th August 2013, 09:44 PM
Friend

hi alexmuir yes your right for a clear liquid it is quite dirty ,saying that the only problem I had with it was a stale batch I managed to buy ,other wise it works very well ,I don't know if Kodak D76 is the same dirt wise ,its been a long time since I used it ,somebody else will have the answer, ID 11 is a great allrounder

www.essexcockney.com
Old 28th August 2013, 11:08 PM
Friend

Thanks, Paul. The results were fine, despite the messy container. I was encouraged to try the practise of making up a litre and using until exhausted by other comments I've seen here. It seems to be a convenient and economical approach. It will be interesting to see how much stain builds up before it's done! Alex
Old 29th August 2013, 06:48 AM
Friend

D76 does get dirty very quickly, but works fine from film 1 to 10. I have used several batches of D76 at stock, but following the Ilford instructions, and I have yet to have a failure, although I don't use it a lot, prefering Rodinal for Fomapan 400,
Richard
Old 10th September 2013, 05:16 PM
Friend

I have had ID11 stain HDPE storage bottles.

I came to conclusion the bottles must be very slightly porous - and that the ID11 was impregnating the plastic, then oxidising (which causes it to go dark brown)

I could not detect and shortening of life of the ID11 in the bottles but as I use the developer colour as a guide to its life/activity, I recycled the bottles as it became difficult to tell what was developer colour and what was bottle colour.

I now use PET water/soft drinks bottles to store all my Developer.

PET is both almost colourless and completely gas tight.

I have found Marks and Spenser flavoured water ones to be the best - not only are the bottles thick walled but the lids have a very nice seal.

Compared to the cost of buying purpose made chemical bottles the soft drink bottles from M&S are a bargain.

Martin
Old 10th September 2013, 05:22 PM
Friend

I will give them a try! I have bought a concertina bottle, but its black and I prefer to see the contents before I pour them. I will find another use for it. Alex
Old 10th September 2013, 06:17 PM
Friend

D76 is the only film developer I use now. I buy it in 1 Litre packets from AG Photographic. I use it at a dilution of 1:2 but still get through a litre fairly quickly, so I'm always using fairly fresh developer. When I mix a litre of the stock solution I pour it into two 500ml soft drink bottles, either clear or green. One stays unopened until I've used the other up, and these bottles squash easily to expel the air, so even when I come to the end of a one litre batch, the developer hasn't oxidised.
These bottles have a bulge in them, useful for decanting if I spot any small solids in the developer.

Alan
Old 10th September 2013, 06:58 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmuir View Post
I will give them a try! I have bought a concertina bottle, but its black and I prefer to see the contents before I pour them. I will find another use for it. Alex
Never had any luck with concertina bottles - I found they always regained their original shape over time and drew air in as they expanded.

Tetenal do a great product - Protectan (http://www.silverprint.co.uk/Product....asp?PrGrp=509)

Works a treat for those half full bottles.

Look across the neck of the bottle as you squirt the gas in - and look for a shimmering heat haze emerging

Martin
Old 10th September 2013, 07:00 PM
Friend

I never had a problem when I was using ID11 as a one-shot developer. It has only been since I started using and re-using stock solution to exhaustion. It must be something to do with changes in the developer as it is used. I kept it in the same type of containers for one-shot use, but never had the staining Alex.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies