Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 22nd November 2020, 04:41 PM
Friend

Default Automatic cameras

The technology incorporated in the last 35mm cameras, before digital models became the norm, was very advanced, for both exposure and focusing. I was wondering today how many of us are happy to rely on that technology, and use their cameras in ‘auto’ mode?
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 22nd November 2020, 05:27 PM
Print Exchange Manager

I prefer manual focusing and setting the exposure although onboard light metering is a real bonus especially for 35 mm.

When i was paddling, the water proof Nikonos V I used had automatic exposure which was very useful but the focusing was completely manual and I usually set it at the hyperfocal distance. I certainly failed to reset the focus distance appropriately on a number of occasions and autofocus would have been useful, but would have had to be different above and below the water surface; it is, after all, an underwater camera. There were other demands on my attention like staying upright and hence the paucity of 'action' photographs especially in lumpy sea conditions.

Mike
Old 22nd November 2020, 06:01 PM
Friend

Guess my answer to this is "it depends"

If I am at somewhere like an air show then for me it's full auto all the way, too busy just trying to keep up with things and trying to frame the shot. One of my Minolta Dynax series is my camera of choice

If I'm somewhere where I can take my time, then for 35mm either semi auto (generally aperture priority for my choice of DoF and manual focus) or full manual. One of my Minolta X-series is my camera of choice.

I'm a bit of a "Minolta man" in case you haven't guessed.

Ian
Old 22nd November 2020, 06:43 PM
Friend

Again it depends, if I am shooting an event like when we used to have Wassial and Cider making or Black butter then I would use one of my Dynax cameras, set to auto focus and program, if I am out shooting landscapes or seascapes I might use a Dynax, but set to manual exposure or A.P, and manual focus, or I might use one of my all manual SRT !'s, or pentax/canon Ect if using 35mm, but itn truth the Dynax on program makes fewer mistakes than I do, and at my age AF cam be a great help if you are in a hurry,on the other hand with my older cameras such as my Leica's I do9n't have much choice, hand held meters and manual focusing, truth is I trust my Dynax's and my older cameras, you pay your money and take your choice, all depends the mood I'm in
Richard
Old 22nd November 2020, 07:07 PM
Friend

All my film cameras are of the manual focus type, however most of them offer some kind of auto exposure which I use and prefer to manual.
Old 22nd November 2020, 07:16 PM
Friend

When film ruled the photographic world, it was astonishing how many pictures were either out-of-focus and/or poorly exposed, especially for transparency film. However, with the advent and subsequent evolution of (semi-) automatic cameras and features, it seemed like picture quality improved overnight!

Personally, I haven’t used 35mm for over 20 years but using my Fuji GA645 zi, point and shoot, is a guilty pleasure I sometimes indulge in.

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 22nd November 2020, 08:15 PM
Friend

Interesting replies! I have been doing quite a bit of ‘all manual’ 35mm recently, and it’s been a bit hit and miss. I don’t generally rely on full auto, but do regularly use the aperture priority setting. What I have learned is that, despite years of experience using cameras, it still takes a lot of concentration to ensure you have covered all the bases, before you press the shutter. It makes you appreciate the skill, and dedication of the 35mm photographers from the ‘30s through to the late ‘60s who were working with all manual settings.
Like most of the people replying, I normally tend to use auto equipment when speed of reaction and circumstances require it, and all manual when I can take my time, normally with medium or large format.
Alex

Old 22nd November 2020, 08:27 PM
Friend

I like fully manual for MF, I don't have a choice, my TLR's are all completely manual, as are my folders, and both of my Bronica's, my Mamiya has a metering prism, but apart from that is completely manual, which I like, MF slows you down, gives you time to think, which I like, after all, with my MF ! have only 15 with 645 or 12 with 66, and I like to make every shoot count,
Richard
Old 22nd November 2020, 09:45 PM
Friend

Default Auto or Manual

I use Auto on my Nikons, they have proved really accurate under all conditions and take away another concern so I can concentrate on the subject at hand. I can always depend on them.

As for AF. That for me is a godsend. My eyes are not as good as they used to be (Like a lot of folk). It takes all risk away.

The Minolta TLR needs a meter so I use an old and reliable Minolta Autometer 3 and as for focussing it can be a bit hit or miss as the screen does not have a split image. I don't think microprisms were common when that camera was made.
Old 22nd November 2020, 10:14 PM
Friend

Focusing SLRs has always been an issue for me. I think it’s to do with astigmatism in both eyes, although that is probably quite common. The other issue is age, and the need for reading glasses. I’ve tried numerous correction lenses on my Nikon and Bronica cameras, without finding a suitable formula. Having said that, I don’t use autofocus very often. Perhaps I should make a point of using it regularly to see if it works for me. I’ve been using rangefinder focusing recently and it works, even with dodgy eyesight, but requires a bit of concentration.
Alex

Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies