Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - medium format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 7th December 2017, 12:17 PM
Friend

Default Yashica 635

I've just been given a large collection of cameras, including a Yashica 635. Much of the other stuff is of no real interest, but this looks very good. It appears to be complete with the 35mm kit, although I intend using it for 120 film. It seems to work, although the slow speeds of 1/4-1second are not correct. Does anyone have one of these, or experience with one? It appears to be well made, and this example is in very good cosmetic condition.
Alex

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old 7th December 2017, 03:18 PM
Friend

The 635 was a cheaper version of the Yashicamat and had Yashicor 3 element lenses whereas the 'Mat had 4 element Yashinon. I have not uses 635 but owned a 'Mat a few years back and it was easy to use so I cannot see how the 635 differs from the 'Mat apart from the lens. You will be able to get a decent 16x12 without too much difficulty.

Last edited by John King; 7th December 2017 at 03:26 PM.
Old 7th December 2017, 03:28 PM
Friend

Thanks, John. I will try it out soon with some 120 film. The speeds above 1/4 seem fine. If the results are good, I'll have it serviced. I suspect lack of use has affected the slow speeds.
Alex

Old 7th December 2017, 03:35 PM
Friend

Alex, I don't know the Yashica Tlr.s, but in general they have a pretty good reputation, with the triplet lens stopped down to 8 or 11 you should get some pretty good negatives out of it, as regards the shutter speeds, dry firing these type of shutters will very often restore the speed to something like normal, I have often done this to my old cameras, it doesn't work every time but very often works, well worth a try, the slow shutter speeds on an old camera can suffer from lack of use.
Richard
Old 7th December 2017, 04:48 PM
Friend

Thanks, Richard. I will try firing it tonight whilst watching TV. I need to check that all the bits are in the correct place. It uses a system like a Rolleikin to convert to 35mm, but has a separate film advance knob. Some of the parts are in a separate case, and some are in the camera. I'm looking forward to trying it out.
Alex

Old 7th December 2017, 04:58 PM
Friend

Later Yashica 635 cameras came with a Yashinon taking lens, essentially it's the equivalent of a Rolleicord compared to a Rolleiflex as it doesn't have lever wind like the Yashicamats.

Ian
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies