Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Filters

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 5th July 2010, 05:05 PM
Friend

Default aid to seeing in black and white

Apparently a dark green gel filter can aid seeing in black and white. Anyone tried this?
Old 5th July 2010, 05:25 PM
Friend

Never tried that,I believe that there was, at one time, a filter marketed,I believe.by bdb, that was supposed to help seeing in b/w, I would suggest that looking though an orange filter is a great help,Richard
Old 5th July 2010, 06:00 PM
Friend

Ansel Adams the Negative (p6) recommends a Wratten 90 viewing filter. Personally I think the best option is time and experience, but of course that's not an immediate solution.

Neil
Old 5th July 2010, 06:16 PM
Friend

Heliopan make one - http://www.teamworkphoto.com/index.p...ducts_id=10229

Personally, I have found viewing the scene with the aid of a spot meter to be the most effective way.

I never fail to be surprised how seemingly different colours and brightness’s can be rendered almost the same tone in B&W.

A few years ago I spent some time shooting Field Barns in Swaledale, only to find in B&W that the Buildings and the Grass turned out to be almost exactly the same tone of grey on the Negs

I now use a Green or Yellow/Green filter when I am doing Field Barns and they stand out beautifully

Martin
Old 5th July 2010, 11:54 PM
Friend

I use one of these

http://www.srb-griturn.com/monovue-1601-p.asp

To be truthfull, I just wear it like a medallion to say 'Hey, look at me, I'm a real photographer' I havn't a clue what it is for though . SRB- Griturn are a great company to buy from, and sell lots of other very helpful accessories too, and if in stock, it will usually be with you the next day.

Stoo
Old 14th July 2010, 08:40 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo Batchelor View Post
I use one of these

http://www.srb-griturn.com/monovue-1601-p.asp

To be truthfull, I just wear it like a medallion to say 'Hey, look at me, I'm a real photographer' I havn't a clue what it is for though . SRB- Griturn are a great company to buy from, and sell lots of other very helpful accessories too, and if in stock, it will usually be with you the next day.

Stoo
Me to, the idea is that the dark green filter helps you see tones and brightness of subject. I find it helpful and yes it is a wonderful pose to confuse the masses with, just as effective but not such a pose is a number 13 welding filter as used in arc welding face masks.
Paul.
Old 14th July 2010, 09:38 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Smith View Post
Ansel Adams the Negative (p6) recommends a Wratten 90 viewing filter. Personally I think the best option is time and experience, but of course that's not an immediate solution.

Neil
I too have tried the Wratten 90 filter and agree with Neil that experience is best, I have seen it suggested that a Wratten 90 could be combined with a cardboard framing mask in fact I made one and used it for a while but eventually abandoned it, can't remember why.
Old 15th July 2010, 08:35 AM
Friend

Obtaining a knowledge of what works best in monochrome is the best way forward I think. This subject matter here is wide and involves delicate judgements in the lighting conditions and weather conditions if outside in the landscape. This knowledge comes with experience and the best way to obtain it is by reading / looking at good photographic books, visiting as many photographic exhibitions / galleries as you can and if at all possible attend workshops and college courses. Study what works for others and make as many prints as you can until you are satisfied you can identify a good monochrome subject and turn it into a satisfying print. Whilst a 'see in it monochrome' filter may be of help it will do little on its own other than turn a colour scene into monochrome. It will not be be able to tell you if the scene you are looking at is a suitable subject for monochrome.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 15th July 2010, 07:07 PM
Friend

Digital compact set to the contrast you like and in B&W mode.
Jon.

http://real-silver-prints.com/

"I Prefer it in the Dark"
Old 15th July 2010, 08:12 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Butler View Post
Digital compact set to the contrast you like and in B&W mode.
Jon.
That's an expensive squint!!!!!!
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies