Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Colour Work > Colour film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 30th June 2020, 09:56 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
Thanks Edmund. So it would appear that somewhere along the line between 2017 and the present day Bellini changed the size of its concentrate from 100ml to 240ml. Presumably there was a reason but as long as both concs work then it doesn't really matter

I think the water wash between stages is simply to prevent carryover from say dev to bleach but as the carryover is limited anyway this may not matter

Do you only bleach for 45 secs or use a longer time? I must admit to being very nervous about whether the bleach can do its job in 45 secs
How many films do you stabilise with the 1L before dumping it and moving on to another new 1L? This bring me on to the final question as this will affect how far 1L of stab has to stretch and this is: How many films do you get out the the kit?

Thanks

Mike

I set the bleach timer for 45 seconds, but I don't hurry to empty it, so the film may get nearly a full minute. I've honestly never had a problem though.

The stabiliser probably doesn't get exhausted as such, but it seems to remove some excess orange dye from the film base , so it would be working at cross purposes if it became too contaminated. I do 2 films per litre, but as I say, they are already well washed in warm tap water.

Yield per kit? - I've probably done up to 16 films, but the chemicals often get too old before I get that far. They can be kept for many weeks though.
Old 30th June 2020, 10:54 PM
Friend

Thanks Edmund. I too have never been a high throughput person in terms of film, even during the short period when I was almost 100% colour I tended to always intersperse with b&w so C41 chemicals getting old has always been a worry.

Mike
Old 1st July 2020, 06:30 PM
Friend

I developed another film today in the Bellini kit. I used the original batch of stabiliser, but wiped the film between my fingers as it was hung up to dry. I was actually wearing very fine vinyl gloves, and the results look fine. It looks like the marks on the first films were drying marks. I have bought a quantity of deionised water for use in future. I think I am also going to start using it for mixing my B&W chemicals. It’s inexpensive, and can’t do any harm, but removes the possibility of variable water quality affecting results.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 1st July 2020, 07:29 PM
Friend

Default Bellini developer

Sorry guys I am still not convinced about the times. Too short a bleach and fix times I feel will not ensure a good longevity of the negative image. I will stick with what I know and trust.

Apart from that I have always followed the use once and throw away principle, that ensures consistency from the whole batch from the developing kit. The Bellini kit will not let me do that economically.
Old 2nd July 2020, 10:36 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmuir View Post
...but wiped the film between my fingers as it was hung up to dry. I was actually wearing very fine vinyl gloves, and the results look fine. It looks like the marks on the first films were drying marks.
Save your money! Use clean, filtered tapwater. Glasgow's soft water is ideal.
- Put the top clip up, dry, wherever you propose to hang the film
- Attach a bottom clip, weighted if you have one, and handle the film by it
- Avoiding all movement at the liquid surface (to prevent froth), wet the film in stabiliser. There's no need for prolonged immersion.
- Hang it up without touching it. Let the surfactant in the stabiliser remove the excess liquid.
- Shake each film as you hang it up because, if the water is very soft, some sprocket holes may retain a bubble, which can cause 'measles' on adjacent films when the bubbles burst onto partly-dry film, so get rid of the bubble when all the films are still really wet
- Resist the temptation to apply a hair-dryer - be patient - let the laws of physics take their course
Old 2nd July 2020, 01:18 PM
Friend

Thanks, Jonathon. I noticed that the stabiliser has a tendency to froth, so I let it settle in a container whilst preparing, and developing the film. I’ll try your drying tips with the next film.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies