Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 24th April 2022, 07:05 AM
Friend

Yes as a major creative activity, and it will happen when I downsize from my too big now to look after house.( But for arthritic disability combined with covid it might have happened sometime the past two years.)
In future I will only need one large well lit space to draw and paint in. For the past 20 years I've had a home studio, darkroom space and room for some artwork. I feel I've said almost all I can photographically and haven't done any since pre covid lockdowns stopped my most recent projects. A new knee last month may mean i can get those done this summer.
I'lll no doubt scan/photograph my favourite negs and prints using that system we don't talk about here and print some of the many images I took with that method too and spend my dotage print spotting (if I came into money I'd pay someone to do that task, very many prints).
Old 24th April 2022, 09:09 AM
Friend

It’s been over 18 months since I have had a darkroom. I do have the space to create another one but I have lots of work to do on the house first. Since not having a darkroom my enthusiasm for photography has dipped and I am taking a lot less photos. If I didn’t know I will be creating another darkroom in the future i would probably consider giving it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 24th April 2022, 09:29 AM
Print Exchange Manager

No, but it would be different. I probably wouldn't make prints. I have access to or had a D/R since the mid-60s but I can't see myself spending the necessary LSD to make satisfactory name-that-shall-not-be-mentioned prints.

Mike
Old 24th April 2022, 12:08 PM
Friend

No, I would change what I am doing, I don't fancy having a go at digi printing,but I could give slides a go, I enjoy making images so much I can't imagine not doing some sort of photography
Richard
Old 24th April 2022, 02:25 PM
Friend

I think that photography when boiled down is all about image making. To go the digital route or the analogue route once you can enjoy the results that is what I think is most important.

Vincent - Not afraid of the dark
Old 24th April 2022, 03:06 PM
Friend

Well, I had no darkroom while living abroad so processed my films in the bathroom, which has no window. Then printed on odd trips home.

So if I didn't have a darkroom I'd hire one.

Ian
Old 24th April 2022, 03:18 PM
Friend

Interesting question. I shoot black and white 4x5 so no darkroom would be problematic. Probably not the forum to say this but at that point I would probably move to a hybrid digital/analog model - something I've been exploring a bit lately

There was a time just recently, when I didn't think I'd be able to build my darkroom. I had the space ok but finding stuff was discouraging and expensive. It almost didn't work out and at one point I found myself considering other "what if I can't" scenarios.

That's when I came across Denise Ross, Christina Anderson and salt printing with digital negatives. Yes it's hybrid and technically, it still requires a darkroom of sorts so I'm cheating to consider it a "no darkroom" scenario but it's not nearly as demanding and relatively easy to create pretty much anywhere so that's what I would do if I couldn't have a traditional darkroom.

In the end, I did manage to complete my darkroom but I also built a UV exposure box and have been experimenting with this hybrid model and alternative processes lately - there's something satisfying about contact printing an image on paper you coated yourself. Next step will be to coat some 4x5 glass negatives and see how that works out.

Regards
Dave
Old 24th April 2022, 05:32 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reginald S View Post
After a move years ago, and than not be willing anymore to live with an improvised darkroom in the new object, all my photographical activities did stopped for more than 3 years.
It has been the hell.

Since last autumn I can use a small but good enough to me room at work as a darkroom, but I have had with my enlarging light.
Since some days I am possible to print again, and this really is a lovely thing :-)

So here is my first try ( but not a final print) with my new LED enlarging bulbs which I did last week:
That's a lovely print, Reginald.

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 24th April 2022, 05:58 PM
Friend

Thanks, Marty.

The main thing is that I was able to do it :-)
Old 25th April 2022, 04:55 PM
Friend

No

For years I effectively didn't have a darkroom, so used a changing bag to load my darkslides and then load my development tanks.

I developed my negatives in the kitchen and dried them in a Durst UT100 in the utility.

To print I would investigate hiring a darkroom or joining one of the local colleges, which still have a darkroom.

Martin
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies