Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Member Organised Functions > Meetings

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 12th February 2015, 10:11 PM
Friend

Arran is one I wouldn't have thought of. Pretty sure I was there as a child (ahem- that's a while ago now). Interesting that Rob knows it quite well.
Skye is really varied, but prone to wet spells. It's not called the misty Isle for nothing. The west coast in summer has a beautiful light, but for photography timing does matter. The further North you go the longer the days get. Here in Stornoway by the end of June it's light almost all the time. Sun up not much after 4am, sunset well after 10 with lengthy twilight. Photographically, the middle of the day is poor- high sun (if it's about!) with little modelling in the landscape. April/May and late August through September are good.
Arran, or the Mull of Kintrye would be a little less extreme. It would be good to have a venue with a 'plan B' attached. Skye, for example, is a wonderful place to shoot landscape, but if pitching down rain there's not much else on offer.
A quick google tells me that Arran has both Brodick castle and a Brewery to visit if rain stopped play!
Old 12th February 2015, 10:33 PM
Friend

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by skellum View Post
Arran is one I wouldn't have thought of. Pretty sure I was there as a child (ahem- that's a while ago now). Interesting that Rob knows it quite well.
Skye is really varied, but prone to wet spells. It's not called the misty Isle for nothing. The west coast in summer has a beautiful light, but for photography timing does matter. The further North you go the longer the days get. Here in Stornoway by the end of June it's light almost all the time. Sun up not much after 4am, sunset well after 10 with lengthy twilight. Photographically, the middle of the day is poor- high sun (if it's about!) with little modelling in the landscape. April/May and late August through September are good.
Arran, or the Mull of Kintrye would be a little less extreme. It would be good to have a venue with a 'plan B' attached. Skye, for example, is a wonderful place to shoot landscape, but if pitching down rain there's not much else on offer.
A quick google tells me that Arran has both Brodick castle and a Brewery to visit if rain stopped play
!
But Skye has Talisker
Old 13th February 2015, 09:01 AM
Friend

Excellent distillery on Arran too! I went round it last October. Pity you can't photograph the aroma in the still room!
Old 13th February 2015, 01:42 PM
Friend

There was a malt whisky festival at Lochranza when I was there last June.
Alex
Old 13th February 2015, 04:41 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmuir View Post
There was a malt whisky festival at Lochranza when I was there last June.
Alex
You can remember?
Old 13th February 2015, 05:59 PM
Friend

Bitter memories! We cycled into town just as they were closing the gates and clearing up😕 We did enjoy the après, however, at the local hotel....
Alex
Old 13th February 2015, 07:11 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by skellum View Post
It seems there have been some excellent FADU meets. Currently we have Tintagel looming, which sounds great.
Meantime, here in Scotland, it seems to me there ought to be some suitable locations for such a meeting....................

Cheers!!

If you are putting your hand up to do the organising I propose we come to you on the wonderful Isle of Lewis. After all there is nothing better than having a resident guide

Count me in!

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 13th February 2015, 08:50 PM
Friend

Oh dear, how I would like to join!!
But it´s too far for me.
I love Scotland ;-)

MonoArt - fine photographs
Old 13th February 2015, 08:55 PM
Friend

Quote:
I propose we come to you on the wonderful Isle of Lewis.
Just curious on how you intend to travel Neil, it took me three days to get there and three days to get back by car and boat from Surrey!

Tony
Old 13th February 2015, 10:47 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Marlow View Post
Just curious on how you intend to travel Neil, it took me three days to get there and three days to get back by car and boat from Surrey!

Tony

Tony,

Fly from Bristol to Inverness and worry about it from there Alternatively cadge a lift from my good friend Barry !

Neil.

Neil Souch
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies