Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 24th April 2015, 04:23 PM
Friend

Default Larger prints

So i went and checked out the nearest darkroom for hire at a local arts organisation, and intend to use it as its barely used and the gear is in great condition, though the room is very small.

it has a devere 504 enlarger, with both a 50mm and 100mm enlrger lens, i forget what make, but i assume it is decent like the rest of the gear.

Im using 6x7 negs , now i intended to end up making larger prints about 20x24 but using the 100mm enlarger lens, the images didnt seem anywhere near that big when at maximum enlarged size ( i didnt bring a measure annoyingly) unless i put on the 50mm lens in then i can get them bigger.

now i understand 100mm for 6x7 is the way to go, but could i use the 50mm successfully? is it a sharpness issue? otherwise i will have to find a darkroom where i can wall/floor project or something. its rather annoying, and i dont think theres anyway or adjusting the setup.
Old 24th April 2015, 05:00 PM
Friend

The problem is that a 50mm enlarging lens would be intended for smaller negatives such as 35mm and just wouldn't have the coverage for 6x7 cm negs.
I had thought in the past that it would be handy to have a lens of focal length shorter than 50mm for making greater magnifications of 35mm negatives easier. I believe Nikon made a 40mm lens with enough coverage but it was rather expensive. It may be that a lens of 80mm focal length would do the job you need it to do. Although I have a Schneider of that kind I have only used it for up to 6x6 cm negatives and couldn't say from personal experience if it will cope with the extra centimetre.
Old 24th April 2015, 05:21 PM
Friend

some devere enalargers have a basboard which can be lowered as well as the head raised(I think). I would be surprised if you could not enlarge to 20x24 with that enlarger and 100mm lens.

An 80mm lens would improve things for you height wise but you would need to be sure that it covers the neg at the magnification you require. A Rodagon 80 should do it just. A Rodagon-WA 80 would easily do it.
Its possible you are just running out of height withh 100mm lens which is designed for 6x9 format, especially if you are cropping anything from around the edges. On the other hand if you are leaving a 1 inch border around the image then it must be close whether the 100mm lens will do it unless you haven't worked out how to lower the baseboard and max the head height.

The larger the magnification the closer the lens is to the negative so the more critical the lens coverage becomes. A 50mm lens certainly won't cover 6x7.
Old 24th April 2015, 05:33 PM
Friend

You should try to get a look at the DeVere 504 instruction manual as it should tell you the maximum image size for each format and focal length. It may be in our manuals section, or elsewhere online. I think it is the floor standing models that can drop the baseboard. You should be able to check by looking to see if it sits on a worktop, or has its own metal support.
Alex
Old 24th April 2015, 07:52 PM
Friend

ahh so its an issue of covering the actual negative, i get it now. that rules out the 50mm then, seems counter intuitive that i can get larger enlargements with a 35mm film and 50mm lens than 6x7 and a 100m lens. i obviously need more height then. ill look up the manual, good idea, thanks guys.
Old 24th April 2015, 08:04 PM
Friend

It's a coverage issue so a 50mm lens won't cover any negative size above 35mm format. However most 80mm lenses should cover 6x7 negs. The Rodenstock Rodagon and Schneider Companon definitely do. The 100mm will probably be too long for a 20"x24" print. And the difference between 80mm and 100mm is considerable.
I presume it's a diffuser and not a condenser enlarger in which case a bigger light box will be fine with a smaller negative size.

A good 80mm lens is all you really need. Failing that more height for the longer focal length that is designed for a larger negative.

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950

Last edited by MartyNL; 24th April 2015 at 08:08 PM.
Old 24th April 2015, 08:19 PM
Friend

May I ask why you wish to make large prints?
Old 24th April 2015, 08:32 PM
Friend

well they only have 50 or 100mm lens, so maybe i can convince them to get a new 80mm!

why large prints? i want to make some large prints, i want my images to look abstract close up, i like grain and noise and dirt, impact, becuase i can, becuase most people make small photos, for exhibition , i could go on. i will make small prints aswell. it stems from having a space on my friends wall that needs filling.
Old 24th April 2015, 09:13 PM
Friend

Jimmy if you are going to do enough prints and can't persuade them to get a 80mm it might be worth your while to buy one yourself.

If you ever stop darkroom work in the future you can always sell it.

Mike
Old 24th April 2015, 09:21 PM
Friend

I recall visiting a well-off friend many years ago in his vast home in a converted warehouse. They had no kids at the time. But what on earth do you want with all this space, I asked. Oh I just wanted enough room to hang my parents art, I was told. Both parents painted on a grand scale.

I like small prints, but am not against large ones. In art, look at some of the exquisite quite small Vermeer paintings. It is not all about size.

I think the advice to get an 80mm Rodenstock Rodagon or Schneider Companon is good, just to keep on topic a little bit
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies