Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 2nd August 2017, 12:11 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by CambsIan View Post
Hi Mike,

I use a lamp like that, so your post made me wonder as well.

Had a very quick google, and came up with this.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/THINKMORE-B...ce+halogen+75w

Have no idea if it's any good, may be the wrong colour temp for colour though

This one is similar but cool white, only 4000k so not daylight though

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aurora-Prem...A34AMN3SJ235OF

Ian

What does anyone think
These bulbs may be usable for black & white, but I am fairly certain that they would cause problems for colour printing due to their uneven spectrum. The attached chart shows how the various light sources differ.

I also notice that the base for the bulbs you've shown is given as GU5.3 whereas the original halogen projector bulbs are GU5.36 - I tried a 2 pin halogen bulb from a domestic fitting in my enlarger a while ago, and although it looked similar, the pin spacing was different.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	led-lighting-2.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	2784  
Old 2nd August 2017, 05:54 PM
Friend

Hi Edmund,

Thanks for the info, food for thought.

Ian
Old 2nd August 2017, 08:51 PM
Friend

I've just tried an LED GU-5.3 in my Durst enlarger and can confirm that it doesn't fit the holder. The prongs are too close together compared to the correct bulb. The difference in designation pointed out by Edmund is clearly significant.
The other point I've noted relates to the Diall LED bulbs from B&Q. I picked one up today to use in my Durst M601. Having looked closely at it, however, I don't think it will work in this type of condenser enlarger. The bulb in the M601, and similar models, is aimed at a 45 deg mirror which reflects the light down onto the condensers. The LED bulb has an opaque section which comes up to around half the height of the globe. I haven't tried it yet, as the enlarger has the colour head fitted at the moment, but I suspect it won't send enough light in the right direction for even illumination. I can see it working perfectly in the more conventional arrangement where it shines straight down onto the condensers. I assume that's how the Meopta system works, but please correct me if I'm wrong as I would be delighted if the bulb will work in the Durst. I will try it out tomorrow if I have time and report back.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 3rd August 2017, 07:42 AM
Friend

Meopta's are straight down, I have read that some of the reflecting type enlargers have adjustments to the bulb so that with adjustments the LED bulb can work, I don't know if it applys to Durst's as I have not used one,but it could be worth having a look,
Richard
Old 3rd August 2017, 08:57 AM
Friend

Thanks Richard. The bulb holder is movable to adjust for even illumination. I will try that and measure falloff at the corners.
Alex

Old 3rd August 2017, 10:29 AM
Friend

I can't aee why with a bit of adjustment it shouldn't work, when researching LED bulbs before I decided to give it a try I have read several posts on other forums about adjusting the bulb holder so that the heat sink is out of the way and illumination is even across the hole area, worth trying it, if you can get it working you can save on both bulbs(if you can find 150 bulbs they are around £10 each) and use a llot less electricity, plus no more negative popping due to heat, in fact I have taken out the glass shield in my Meopta, bit less to keep clean, and I find they are brighter
Richard
Old 3rd August 2017, 02:50 PM
Friend

Thanks Edmund and Alex. It looks as if there may be no equivalent for the two pronged Tungsten Halogen for a Durst colour-head 605 as things stand.

Pity. Mind you when you think of it, the LED bulb manufacturers are aiming at a quite different domestic bulb market. Maybe they will never make a two pronged bulb for the enlarger market as it will never repay their investment.

Mike
Old 3rd August 2017, 04:01 PM
Friend

Default Error

I'm sorry, I misquoted the base type for the two pin 12v/100w bulbs - it should have read GZ6.35. In fact these halogen bulbs are widely used for stage and disco lighting, and can be bought very cheaply from non photographic sources.
Old 10th August 2017, 09:01 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmundH View Post
These bulbs may be usable for black & white, but I am fairly certain that they would cause problems for colour printing due to their uneven spectrum. The attached chart shows how the various light sources differ. ...
Hi Edmund,
Many thanks for posting the spectra of different light sources. Very useful, not only for enlarger usage, but also for choosing an LED for microscopy under-stage lighting. I made the mistake recently of buying a 6,000K or 7,000K wire ended LED, hoping to get something more blueish than a "warm white" but when I tried it, the light was a good blue, and very little use to me. I'd hoped for something a little "colder" than a Warm White LED. What I bought was a Maplin N83KG and very blue, despite being described as "white".
I've got a lot to learn... I'm pleased that they're now so cheap, and easily experimented with.
Old 10th August 2017, 09:34 PM
Friend

I have been thinking further about the idea of using the 12V LED lamps to replace the halogen types in Durst and other colour heads. Is the answer simply to replace the lamp holder with a G5.3 type? These are cheap and readily available, and come with two leads attached which could be swapped for the originals. Has anyone tried this? I anticipate the advantages would be cooler running, long life and perhaps resistance to the colour change that affects halogen lamps as they age.
Alex.

Tags
bulb, darkroom, enlarger
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies