Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   Keyphoto   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   RK Photo   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies   Silverprint Ltd

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Equipment miscellaneous

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 1st September 2018, 11:21 PM
Friend

Default light shapers

its my birthday soon and I have (my wife has) ordered a beauty dish , I have used umbrellas and soft boxes ,but the beauty dish is new to me ,so looking forward to trying it .. does anybody here have one or used one ,what do you think ,and any tips on using it .thanks

www.essexcockney.com
Old 2nd September 2018, 11:33 AM
Friend

Paul, there appear to be a few videos about it when I "googled".

I was hoping that it was a dish with a special liquid into which I could dip my face and come up looking like George Clooney

Call it Sunday lunchtime whimsy

Mike
Old 2nd September 2018, 12:32 PM
Friend

Mike, While you have your face dipped in the beauty dish, see if you can find Clooney's wallet too :-)

Mike
Old 2nd September 2018, 12:54 PM
Friend

hi mike if it works on me then my wife said she will get one ,but I think a club hammer has more chance of making me good looking ,but as you know when we take portraits with our film cameras we have not got a way of cheeking if it looks right we can take reading with our light meter and a educated guess ,the good thing is we can sort out the negative in the darkroom and there's always the lucky accident .as I am getting older I am getting this devil don't care attitude ,and I am living on the wild side ,oh and I am having a second childhood ,and all this culminated in my buying a beauty dish ,as I take a Iwalk on the wild side
Old 2nd September 2018, 01:39 PM
Friend

There is a book called ‘Lighting People’ by a female fashion photographer which is very good. It came out last year and is a big paperback. It shows examples of the effect of all types of lighting accessory used in different ways.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 2nd September 2018, 05:15 PM
Friend

This is the book. I’m not related to the author!😂
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 2nd September 2018, 06:52 PM
Friend

thanks for that Alex ,I do have a similar book that shows the basics that has helped me .what makes me laugh is the digital boys and girls that keep on looking at the computer screen and adjusting everything till they get it right ,but us film boys and girls have it much harder ...
Old 3rd September 2018, 04:45 PM
Friend

Before the days of electronic flash and cool-running lamps in lightweight collapsible metallised foil reflectors, a typical beauty dish would have a white, spun-aluminium, heat-resisting reflector and one or more high-wattage lamp(s). To avoid direct light from the lamp(s) falling on the subject, these were hidden behind a smaller dish, so only indirect illumination from the main dish reached the model, giving soft-edged shadows. It was quite heavy and needed a robust stand, perhaps with hand-cranked adjustments.
During the sixties this type of luminaire, in conjunction with higher film speeds, led to a change in lighting style, away from Fresnel-lens spotlights and compact 'kickers'. It was thought more 'natural'. Many photographers painted their studios black or used dark screens to control the light spilled from beauty dishes and minimise unwanted reflections.
Old 3rd September 2018, 10:21 PM
Friend

the thing is I do remember ,but the smaller type one was a spot and the other was a reflector ,I was given them in 1970 ,but every time I used them the heat was very hot in my front room ,I used them for a while and later I bought second hand from a camera shop it looked like it was home made ,but it was cheap , it was a stand with an umbrella a flood light and a small flashgun I used that for a while until the flood light bulb blew and I chucked the lot in the bin, I didn't use a flash for a while and then I got a metz flash gun ,that I used to charge up on the mains it was only little but it was not bad for the time ,and then years later I used using Nikon and metz flash guns and small soft boxes ,then I moved on the studio flash ,I now have 3 bowens flash and pocketwizard remote control triggers and a few soft boxes ,umbrellas ,and soon a beauty dish .I love taking portraits ,black and white and love printing them ,as I have trouble getting out sometimes because of my health ,but I can still do my photography in doors
Old 5th September 2018, 08:36 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by big paul View Post
its my birthday soon and I have (my wife has) ordered a beauty dish , I have used umbrellas and soft boxes ,but the beauty dish is new to me ,so looking forward to trying it .. does anybody here have one or used one ,what do you think ,and any tips on using it .thanks

www.essexcockney.com
Yes, I've used them.

Good for face shots - or any other local body part.

They are more effective the closer it is to the subject - they iron our skin lines and wrinkles.

Anything more than about 1m away from the model and you are wasting it.

It depends on your personal style but I think they do Rembrandt lighting on the face well.

One of the best ways of assessing the lighting effect is to look through your viewfinder with the lens stopped down to f16+ (it enhances the contrast compared to wide open and gives you a much closer visual effect to what your film will produce)

Martin
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   Keyphoto   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   RK Photo   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies   Silverprint Ltd