Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Colour Work > Colour film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 4th February 2020, 11:55 AM
Friend

Default Bellini C41 kit

Further to my previous thread re colour Dev labs I’ve been thinking about that other alternative ... DIY! In fact I was surprised no one suggested it

I have a small supply of colour film and there’s nothing to stop me shooting some colour for a change and then home processing - it will be a new experience and I enjoy learning new things.

There seems to be just a few kits to chose from which is probably good news for the newbie colour developer as choice isn’t always a great idea at the start. Has anyone any views on the Bellini C41 kit?

Thanks as always
Old 4th February 2020, 01:03 PM
Friend

Nrver used the Bellini c41 kit, but I have used other Bellini chemicals and they have always been very good, they are a top maker in Italy, and Firstcall stocks a lot of Bellini raw chemicals and kits Ect
Richard
Old 4th February 2020, 01:56 PM
Friend

Dave, never used it but there is at least one thread on it on Photrio.

The usual warnings apply: it can be difficult to sort out the wheat from the chaff on Photrio and threads do deviate more than a little from the direct subject so searching for the nuggets can be frustrating

We tend to be a better forum for answers and balance if enough of us have the requisite experience of the subject/chemicals

Mike
Old 4th February 2020, 02:01 PM
Friend

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
Dave, never used it but there is at least one thread on it on Photrio.

The usual warnings apply: it can be difficult to sort out the wheat from the chaff on Photrio and threads do deviate more than a little from the direct subject so searching for the nuggets can be frustrating

We tend to be a better forum for answers and balance if enough of us have the requisite experience of the subject/chemicals

Mike
Thanks Mike. I rarely visit Photrio for that reason. Totally agree with your FADU assessment too, it’s the reason why I never think to ask my questions anywhere else
Old 4th February 2020, 02:03 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Gould View Post
Nrver used the Bellini c41 kit, but I have used other Bellini chemicals and they have always been very good, they are a top maker in Italy, and Firstcall stocks a lot of Bellini raw chemicals and kits Ect
Richard
Thanks Richard. I spotted it on a Nik Trick (?) but worth knowing there are alternative suppliers - in theory it keeps prices keen (in theory at least!)
Old 7th February 2020, 04:47 PM
Friend

Just to conclude this post, despite no one here having experience of the kit I’ve read quite a few positive reviews online so have decided to give the Bellini kit a try. My first foray into C41 developing so looking forward to having a go next week once the kit has been developed.
Old 7th February 2020, 06:12 PM
Friend

The Rollei Digibase C41 kits from Firstcall sound very interesting as it's available in three different sizes and can be used down to 25º C.

https://www.firstcall-photographic.c...it-500ml/p3336

This kit and the Bellini chemicals are touted as being greener than the other brands.

I must admit that I've used neither of them, only some of Bellini's D96 developer for Ferrania P30 Alpha. I do have an unopened Tetenal C-41 kit awaiting use in the future, but I may be tempted by one or other of the new kids on the block.

Nick
Old 29th March 2020, 11:54 AM
Friend

I’m just developing my 12th roll with the Bellini kit and am very happy both with the process and the results. Up until now I’ve been developing single rolls of 120 or two of 35mm but I’ve just upgraded my tank so could in theory develop two 120 or three 35mm. The tank needs 1l of chemicals when developing two 120 rolls and just short of that for three 35mm

BUT ... the one litre of solution, after twelve rolls, is now less than that so I cannot use the larger tank. I’m careful to get as much solution out as possible before adding the next so am presuming this shrinkage is normal. Still plenty of chemical for processing individual rolls of 120 up to the kit capacity but not in pairs.

Any bright ideas or alternative kits perhaps?
Old 29th March 2020, 12:24 PM
Friend

Dave as a matter of interest what temperature do you do the developing at - the standard 37.8 C or another temperature?If another temp have you seen any signs of colour crossover in any of the 12 rolls?

Thanks

Mike
Old 29th March 2020, 12:36 PM
Friend

Hi Mike, 38C which is the recommended temperature. Not felt experienced enough to vary temperature as yet

Not sure I’d know colour crossover if I saw it (these are literally my first C41 experiments) however all the films have come out as I would expect. I don’t print colour but they all sc@n OK and respond as I’d expect in terms of colour rendition.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies