Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 7th October 2021, 10:09 PM
Friend

Default Fairies at the bottom of the garden.

The link that I put up here is about Geoffrey Crawley debunking the photographs taken by two school girls of fairies.
Unfortunately the link to the New York times does not work, so I have deleted the article.
It seems it is a subscription newspaper.

So sorry as it is such a lovely story.

https://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/07/w...07crawley.html

TRY THE LINK> IT SEEMS TO WORK JUST THE ONCE THEN LOCKS ME OUT AND PROMPTS TO TAKE UP A SUBSCRIPTION>

Last edited by Nat Polton; 7th October 2021 at 10:17 PM. Reason: LINK DOES NOT WORK>
Old 8th October 2021, 05:03 AM
Friend

I opened the article, waited a secon until the page is loaded and then pressed ctrl-A ctrl-C. That works, I could read it wit word after crtl-V.
Old 8th October 2021, 01:46 PM
Friend

I too couldn't open the NY Times link.

I think you may have been lucky Uwe, as you only get a sign-in page after loading a few stories - I can't remember how many it told me I had read for free, before blocking me. It's a shame as I've read some good articles on the site, but I'm not paying for more with already so much reading to keep up with!

If anyone is interested they only have to enter, 'Geoffrey Crawley debunking the fairy photographs' into a search engine for many links to the story.

Terry S
Old 8th October 2021, 05:10 PM
Friend

The only way I could get back onto the story was by deleting all the cookies on my computer, then a quick search on Google.
It gives you access once and then it must send out a cookie saying you have had your free go.

I saw a television interview with the last surviving girl, now a mature lady.
She confessed it all was a good hoax. She said she did not want to go to her grave with all her friends and relations remembering her as the dotty old lady who talked to the fairies.

If anybody does make the effort to find and read the article the last sentence is well worth reading.

Cheers.
Old 8th October 2021, 08:51 PM
Friend

There was a time when all you had to do was to delete certain cookies in order to renew your limited free access to The New York Times. The number of free articles per month declined, then later I noticed that it became more difficult for reasons I don't know (presumably some other form of identification)

Maybe try on a different computer at someone else's house and as Uwe says above, get it right the first time.
Old 9th October 2021, 12:19 AM
Friend

I enjoyed the article. It reminded me of the civilized kindness and eccentricity perhaps that we ex-colonials reminisce about and associate with our British heritage, perhaps of a bygone age but hopefully not.
Old 9th October 2021, 06:24 PM
Friend

I have the original BJP article somewhere, the irony was that it was arthur Conan Doyle who authenticated the images as being genuine.

Both girls were highly skilled photo retouchers in their teens, one admitted they'd faked the photos not long before she died.

Ian
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies