Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Chemistry > Chemical formulae

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 6th March 2017, 04:46 PM
Friend

If you cannot get Adotol Konstant in Canada you could try ordering directly from Fotoimpex/Germany (the manufacturer). They ship overseas.

https://www.fotoimpex.de/shopen/chem...developer.html
Old 6th March 2017, 05:15 PM
Friend

Sven, Process Supplies, one of our sponsors, have Adox Adotol Konstant for what seems a very reasonable price but have a notice that it will not post any chemistry overseas

As it uses the phrase "any chemistry" I assume this covers powder such as this developer.

Has anyone here asked the question of whether powder developer is covered by this refusal to ship overseas?

If no-one responds by tomorrow, Sven, then I'll give them a call and ask the question directly and let you and others who may be interested in the answer know via this thread

There is no way to know if Adox Adotol Konstant matches LPD in longevity but for a U.K. resident at least, this looks to be a good bet.

I hate to think what Adorama might charge for LPD from the West Coast of the U.S. plus VAT and Customs charges once it arrives in the U.K.

By the way powder for 5 litres is £7. Does anyone know what the dilution rate is?

Thanks

Mike

Mike
Old 6th March 2017, 06:04 PM
Friend

It is used straight, although some people may dilute it to get longer times.
Old 6th March 2017, 06:08 PM
Friend

Mike, I think you would be surprised at how reasonable shipping costs actually are between N. America and the UK. I go the other direction and order from some UK cycling shops, and shipping is either free (amazingly) or so cheap that it's like local rates. You might walk through an order at B&H until you get to the shipping quote to see what it would be, but I'd bet it's lower than you expect. Customs is another matter entirely -- e.g. incoming parcels to Canada over a certain dollar value will get dinged an outrageous amount of duty, taxes and "processing fees"; those less about C$100 seem to be let in unmolested. I'd bet UK would be similar or worse.

BTW, no need to check for Adotol for me in the UK -- I can dig deeper and will probably find it here. Jacques at Argentix.ca in Quebec carries Adox stuff (I get my Rodinal from him), so I can ping him to see if he can special order some for me. He's pretty open to that sort of thing.

JOReynolds, Edmund -- some good suggestions...thanks. I have never considered a floating lid as I had no idea what kind of plastic would work. I may check around here to see if something similar is available to your stuff. In the meantime, I like Edmund's idea of the big mouth tubs - beats fussing with bottles and funnels.

Cheers,
Svend

Last edited by Svend; 6th March 2017 at 06:36 PM.
Old 6th March 2017, 06:12 PM
Friend

Svend, I believe I have the answer you're looking for. It's a developer called Liquidol, marketed by Photographers Formulary in Montana. I still have a liter of it yet unopened for testing but unfortunately got a huge dose of high temp in my darkroom due to a wall heater thermostat sticking in the ON position (opened the door to get something and was hit with 108F air - that's 42C !!). Managed to get it unstuck and cooled the room down with large fan at the door. Had an electrician come and trash the thermostat & replace it with a heavy duty ON-OFF switch that will only be used by me when I'm in there working in the winter. I have a new bottle coming as we speak for my tests, which I can compare with results from the overheated bottle to see if it's still any good. Liquidol was developed by Ron Mowrey (retired Kodak engineer) who visits APUG forum regularly as "Photo Engineer" in collaboration with Bill Troop of Darkroom Cookbook fame. Check this thread on the subject; there are numerous posts by Ron in it. I've also queried him via PM about it and received this info:
"I have bottles of unopened Liquidol that are years old and that still work. Opened bottles will keep for at least 6 months if not a year, and in a tray the keeping is very good. I have had excellent results after 48 hours in an open tray.

You do not need to store Liquidol in a special manner either unopened or opened."

http://stores.photoformulary.com/liq...per-developer/
http://photoformulary.homestead.com/02-0200.pdf

It's also available to order online from Freestyle in Los Angeles as well as Adorama in NYC; B&H stopped shipping chemicals last November.

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/search?q=liquidol
https://www.adorama.com/searchsite/d...hinfo=liquidol
Old 6th March 2017, 08:33 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slixtiesix View Post
It is used straight, although some people may dilute it to get longer times.
Can you say what the times are for straight and higher dilutions? Setting aside its greater longevity, at straight, it ceases to be reasonably priced when compared to Ilford MG at 1+9

Thanks

Mike
Old 6th March 2017, 08:49 PM
Friend

Very interesting Jerry. I will read through that thread carefully and see what Ron M. has to say about it. If you could post back here once you've run your tests that would be great -- I'd be very interested to get your impressions. Sounds like great stuff -- hope your overheated bottle is still usable. Would be a shame to dump it.

All in all, it sounds like there are a few great options here that will answer nicely. At this point, since I have all the bulk ingredients on hand and can start right away, I will try a stirring up a batch of ID-62 and see how it works. But, being of curious mind, when I have a long-enough shopping list of other stuff I will order some Ethol and Liquidol and compare them for image quality.

In the meantime I will look into floating lids, and in the short term getting some easy-fill containers to hold the developer between printing sessions. I'd rather not leave open trays out, even overnight -- too much traffic in the workshop/darkroom....too much potential for a big mess. I can just picture it: daughter goes down to sharpen and tune her skis and whacks one into a couple of trays on the next bench....

Question for Ian: if I happen to have ID-62 in a tray, but want warmer tones to suit a particular image, can I add a wee bit of bromide to bump up the warmth? Or will the benzotriazole negate it's effect (tone-wise, that is)? And, will there then be too much restrainer, causing fogging? I plan to try Troop's suggestion (per Darkroom Cookbook, p. 76) to keep a bottle each of carbonate and bromide beside the developer tray and add small amounts as needed to fine tune tone and contrast. Seem reasonable?

Thanks,
Svend

Last edited by Svend; 6th March 2017 at 08:57 PM.
Old 6th March 2017, 09:16 PM
Friend

Developing times in fresh N113/Adotol are around 90-120s. I never experimented with higher dilutions personally.
Old 6th March 2017, 10:10 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slixtiesix View Post
Developing times in fresh N113/Adotol are around 90-120s. I never experimented with higher dilutions personally.
Thanks. The instructions with this stuff seem to be almost non existent. I have "googled" but cannot find any information on times or other dilutions. I know that Adox isn't a big company compared to say Ilford but I expected a bit more info.

Mike
Old 7th March 2017, 07:10 AM
Friend

Mike, here they are (albeit rather basic) http://www.solmu.org/pub/foto/Paper_Dev_N_113%20en.pdf
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies