Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Site Forums > Introductions

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 9th December 2009, 09:21 AM
Friend

Default Hello from Stevenage

Good morning to you all,

I have stumbled across this site this morning and it looks like a goody. I've been into analogue photography for about 15 years, I have had 4 darkrooms though none of them dedicated. I am in th middle of building my 5th. I have stolen half of my garage to give me a 8 x 10 ft space. All studs, plasterboard, wiring and decorating done (paint still on my hands) This weekend I'm to lay the floor and may be start on the benches. My criteria is a 6ft sink, ( need plans/ideas any help appreciated) 2 durst enlargers, ac1200 and m707. and to fit in a jobo printlab 3504. Hoping to be back printing by Christmas, I shoot all formats, but predominantly medium format on either Mamiya press or TLR. I have for too many cameras to be healthy and should cut them down, but I know I never will. Any advise on a sink appreciated. especially UK products used or conversion of something into a sink (water tank?)

Regards

Andy
Old 9th December 2009, 09:29 AM
Moderator & Keeper of the Calendar

Hi Andy and Welcome to the forum.

One member here has made a sink from marine ply but I will let him fill you in on the details.

Hoping to see your work when you are up and running

Bill
Old 9th December 2009, 09:29 AM
Friend

Welcome Andy. Stevenage is becoming a FADU hotspot with several members around there. Second-hand sinks turn up at regular intervals on eBay, but never when you want one.
On of our sponsors (SDS) may be able to help, or RK Photographic sell new ones. Other than that I'm sure you will get plenty of helpful advice from others here. Keep us informed of progress please.
Old 9th December 2009, 09:44 AM
Friend

Hi Andy and welcome. I built a sink out of MDF, sealed with several coats of garage floor paint. Thus far it's held together well. You can see it in the Darkroom Views gallery. I originally intended to use marine ply but couldn't get any locally.

RH Designs darkroom equipment : dalesphoto.co.uk
Old 9th December 2009, 09:45 AM
Friend

Hi Andy and welcome to FADU. Your new darkroom project sounds exciting and I hope you are printing by Christmas.

Re: sink building.

I made mine four years ago out of marine ply and battening. I planned it out to get the section sizes to make the sink and went to B&Q to buy the wood as they will cut the ply to size for you on their precise machine, so that made construction and assembly much easier. Water proof glue / screw for fixing together with all joins (sink side) finished with a water proof sealant that can be painted over. You can finish the inside with a variety of paints / varnishes / epoxy finishes but in the end I just went for plain old garage floor paint (several coats). This stuff is pretty tough and doesn't need any special handling - also dries tough with a like a lino finish. I have had this sink in constant use for 4 years now and apart from the usual stains it is as good as when made. On the plumbing side I used a shower tray waste (plastic so chems would not affect it ) and a normal domestic mixer tap. If you have look at our Darkroom Views in the Gallery section of FADU you will see some pics under my entry. Total cost of what you see no more than £50.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 9th December 2009, 10:22 AM
Friend

Welcome to FADU Andy and all the best with your 5th darkroom.
"To the attentive eye, each moment of the year has its own beauty, and in the same field, it beholds, every hour, a picture which was never seen before, and which will never be seen again" Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers
Old 9th December 2009, 10:22 AM
Friend

I got my sink from ebay for about £70 might even have been a little less, its a Richards sink and is as good as they get, new it would have been a considerable price. You get some very good deals if you keep looking. Though you have to be prepared to pick up, I did have a 200 mile round trip but well worth it.

Neil
Old 9th December 2009, 11:11 AM
Friend

I have seen a number of sinks on ebay, but always too far away. I don't mind the travel, but haven't the time to do it, always seem to end at the wrong weekend, or are up in Carlisle or somewhere... I will probably build, and after seeing Neils one, I have realised they don't have to be just a rectangular box. I don't want to limit myself, I have processors that will handle 16 x 12, but will also like to tray develop for larger and tone. Neil you have me thinking... not good on a slow day work... may even wake up lol

andy
Old 9th December 2009, 11:22 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyreynolds View Post
I have seen a number of sinks on ebay, but always too far away. I don't mind the travel, but haven't the time to do it, always seem to end at the wrong weekend, or are up in Carlisle or somewhere... I will probably build, and after seeing Neils one, I have realised they don't have to be just a rectangular box. I don't want to limit myself, I have processors that will handle 16 x 12, but will also like to tray develop for larger and tone. Neil you have me thinking... not good on a slow day work... may even wake up lol

andy
I know what you mean, there's an eBay offering in Manchester, but that would be expensive for you to collect. I was lucky when I brought mine as the seller was able to deliver to me. Many people construct their sinks from wood, so no problem with that material provided the waterproofing is done properly. Just keep in mine the potential weight of it's contents.
Old 9th December 2009, 12:38 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&W Neil View Post
Hi Andy and welcome to FADU. Your new darkroom project sounds exciting and I hope you are printing by Christmas.

Re: sink building.

I made mine four years ago out of marine ply and battening. I planned it out to get the section sizes to make the sink and went to B&Q to buy the wood as they will cut the ply to size for you on their precise machine, so that made construction and assembly much easier. Water proof glue / screw for fixing together with all joins (sink side) finished with a water proof sealant that can be painted over. You can finish the inside with a variety of paints / varnishes / epoxy finishes but in the end I just went for plain old garage floor paint (several coats). This stuff is pretty tough and doesn't need any special handling - also dries tough with a like a lino finish. I have had this sink in constant use for 4 years now and apart from the usual stains it is as good as when made. On the plumbing side I used a shower tray waste (plastic so chems would not affect it ) and a normal domestic mixer tap. If you have look at our Darkroom Views in the Gallery section of FADU you will see some pics under my entry. Total cost of what you see no more than £50.

Neil.
Neil,
Did you slope the bottom of your sink ? if so, doesn't the water collect after the drain ? or is the slope so gradual its not an issue. did you batten around the edge to hold the base in place? or put cross braces in for the base to sit on? also one more, can you remember what you used to seal the corner, I know screw ad waterproof glue but was there any kind of sealer after that ?

thanks

andy
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies