Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome Film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 25th April 2010, 07:23 PM
Friend

Default Problem with fp4 in a Hasselblad

I have put my first roll of fp4 thought a 500cm that i have just bought and have found some slight problems. I have developed the film in Rodinol for 9 Min's at 20 deg, like i do for 35mm and 645. I have found a dark edge like light entering from the edge when the film is not tightly wound, the film rebate is clear. Also there is a faint line between frames. On two frames there is a large foggy area in the bottom area of the frame, i remember on one of the foggy frames i waited for about 15 minutes with the waist level finder open, waiting for the cloud to clear. Is this good practice with a waist level finder. I have had a thought, i don't think the film was tucked into the clip along the side of the film holder, would that cause the dark edge problem. Has Hasselblads got any problems with light leaks from the film magazines. I hope it is user error and not a camera fault. Please help as I am a bit fed up.
Old 25th April 2010, 11:07 PM
Friend

Hi Mark - welcome to the world of Hasselblad! I had similar problems when I bought my 500C/M kit, but got it sorted eventually! And it is worth the initial trouble.

Hasselblads do have a light trap seal, which needs to maintained by replacement every few years. That is a relatively simple job for someone with simple mechanical skills and steady hands, and kits are available over the internet.

It is also essential that the darkslide is perfectly flat, without wrinkles or creases from bending.

When removing or installing the darkslide I turn away from the sun to avoid strong light hitting the slot as the slide is going in or out, and try to ensure that the slide is installed square to the camera - both ways to minimise the chance of a leak there.

The light trap seal (for the dark slide) is the most common problem. I have also renewed the seals on the film holder where it fits into the body of the magazine, using strips of foam from one of John Goodman's kits (John sells on ebay under the name "Interslice"). This is a less common issue.

It would be best to try another, trusted magazine with your camera, if you know another Hasselblad user.

The body itself is usually pretty reliable but some issues can arise there. Can you show us the actual negatives themselves?

The film should be run under the clip, but that would probably not cause the apparent light leaks.
Old 26th April 2010, 07:59 PM
Friend

Default Thanks Chris

Thanks for you suggestions, I will do what you have said about the dark slide. I have put another film through the camera and will process this and see how it turns out. I have checked the light seals around the film back and film holder and found they are not in good condition. I have another back which I can use to see if I get the same problem. One more thing Chris, Two frames look like they have been fogged in the centre could this have been caused by a light leak from the rear shutter sticking. I have removed the back and lens and held it up to the bright light and I could not see any leaks. I don't know if this is the best way to check the rear shutter. I still find it strange that the image in the view finder is reversed.
Thanks again Chris.
Old 27th April 2010, 08:11 AM
Friend

That reversal of the image in the viewfinder is funny - I am now so used to it that I will remember the image the way I saw it in the viewfinder, and I get a surprise when I see it the wrong way around on the negative!

I'd be surprised if the rear shutter - the barn doors - was causing a leak. I did have a few exposures on my first roll that were like that, with strange marks of a light leak towards the middle, and in the end I put it down to a leak of the darkslide light trap seal, as that was the only thing I changed and the problem went away. You might want to check for missing screws around the faceplate on the magazine as well - on the A12 back there should be 4 along the bottom, 3 up the side opposite the darkslide, and another three along the top. The late "12" back is the same but I'm not sure about others. I have heard from a friend that he suffered light leaks (while mounting and dismounting the back) because one particular screw was missing.

If the second roll shows leaks try this: for the third roll load the camera then put the darkslide away somewhere safe, and tape over the darkslide slot and the joins around the magazine where the film holder fits into the magazine with black electrical tape. Then shoot that roll giving the camera plenty of exposure to sunlight to try to promote a leak. With the "weak points" taped up that should eliminate the magazine as the problem if the leaks are still there.

The one bit of maintenance my early 500C/M did need was to have the seals around the mirror (in the up position) replaced. My seals were disintegrating and dropping bits of foam everywhere! In theory that might have been allowing light from the viewfinder into the camera while the exposure was being made.

I plan to buy a second 500C/M body at some stage, and send my original to David Odess for a good service. I have a 50 Distagon lens that he serviced and it is a pleasure to use.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies